You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2020 1:28 pm  #1

West Arm- East Arm- Manitou - Fassett- Lorne- and back???

We have done enough exploring off of Cedar Creek and Kiosk and are considering a new access point. Has anyone done this route? Can it be done the counterclockwise or will paddling Upstream be too difficult? Any recommendations for campsites or stops along the way? And can you tell me definitively if the ice will be out by the second week in May so that we don't have to go to Kawartha again (although it was an amazing trip).

1/18/2020 1:37 pm  #2

Re: West Arm- East Arm- Manitou - Fassett- Lorne- and back???

perrythomas wrote:

We have done enough exploring off of Cedar Creek and Kiosk and are considering a new access point. Has anyone done this route? Can it be done the counterclockwise or will paddling Upstream be too difficult? Any recommendations for campsites or stops along the way? And can you tell me definitively if the ice will be out by the second week in May so that we don't have to go to Kawartha again (although it was an amazing trip).

No one can tell you definitely if the ice will be out by then. Second week of May you most likely will be ok... but who knows.

The park is only taking reservations starting at May 14th this year, but ice out may be earlier and they may open the backcountry to camping prior to that date. But if you are trying to make a reservation online today, May 14th is the earliest.

Don't know about the route, but the island campsites on Manitou are really nice (check website in my signature for some pics)

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

1/18/2020 1:40 pm  #3

I was being facetious. Good to know about the 14th though. That could be a problem for us. Thanks!

1/18/2020 1:54 pm  #4

This summer my tripping partner and I did a loop from kawawaymog through Biggar to Three Mile (stay), out to Manitou up through Fassett to Lorne (stay), then out to kawawaymog.

Fassett was low water at the time with many carry-overs and some dragging spots. It was hot and dry at the time and a tough slog. On Shada we  ran into a maintenance crew clearing portages in a clockwise direction, so the area should be cleared up now.

What surprised me if this section was the lack of large canopies. I recall some islands and points with such small spruce and other trees that I though perhaps they were burned through.

Kakasamic struck me as nice. Saw a bald eagle there. Lorne is a gem. The other small lakes (Shada and Fassett) are nothing to write home about.

1/18/2020 8:31 pm  #5

Late Sept 2018 I went through the area staying on Bigger - Maple - Manitou - Kakasamic.  Fassett Cr got pretty sloggy due to the late season. 

Seemed like an under travelled area at the time, quite remote feeling.  I'll echo Zemantics notes about the lakes, and it sounds like the park has cleaned up the many blowdowns we had on portages. 

1/18/2020 11:52 pm  #6

Zemantics wrote:

The other small lakes (Shada and Fassett) are nothing to write home about.

We stayed on Fassett a few years back and thought it was quite lovely. The site could have been flatter but the view was good and there was a sandy swimming area 200 m east of our camp. Perhaps not the best lake to stay on but definitely a worthy mention.

Last edited by solos (1/18/2020 11:53 pm)

1/19/2020 12:19 pm  #7

Did that route in reverse last year at the start of July (though at a faster pace).  The section from east arm to Fassett was not well marked and there were still sections with blow down.

Didn't pay attention to the sites on Lorne but kacasamic had a couple nice sites (south and NW).

I recall the far east site on Fassett is good (beach?) but I was exhausted so that judgment might be off. 

I went clockwise to go with the current on Fassett Creek.  Wouldn't make a huge difference though unless water levels are high.

Last edited by keg (1/19/2020 12:27 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.