You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2020 7:40 pm  #1

Dickson/Hardy Bay 2019

I was just curious if anyone had any inside information regarding the Blue/Green Algae blooms at Dickson/Hardy Bay.  I guess I was just curious if in 2019 there was any improvements at all?  Would love to do a trip in 2020 to Dickson, but it's been closed for overnight camping for years now.

1/16/2020 1:44 am  #2

Re: Dickson/Hardy Bay 2019

I passed through Dickson back in 2015 and 2016 so I know what the lake looked like at the height of the bloom - the water was emerald green.  I passed through again last June and the water was back looking normal though the park staff said the lake was still closed and gave a stern warning not to stay anywhere in Hardy Bay or the South leg of Lavielle.  Funny though as the Algonquin Outfitter's staff was quite certain that the water was testing clear but only 'red tape' was holding back the lake from reopening. Hope this helps.

1/16/2020 11:46 am  #3

Spoke with Ontario Parks staff at the visitor center about this last fall. A gentleman there have his opinion that it'll be back open again as it's been testing well over the past couple years.

1/17/2020 1:51 pm  #4

I went though the area this year.  There's basically a line drawn through a narrows in Lavielle where they have signs posted on each site saying it is un-usable (in normal circumstances).  We carried water from northern Lavielle through to Bonfield.

Dickson didn't have any green in it at all in July, water was warming up too so it was nice to see.  Beautiful views, would definitely stay there once it's opened.  All the sites would need an overhaul from what we saw.  They were pretty overgrown and overall not in great condition.

Here's my best attempt at showing the affected/closed area:
upload pic

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.