You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2020 12:57 pm  #1

Catfish/Burntroot/Nipissing Route - In Which Direction?

Hope everyone is having a successful winter. The mild weather in SWO has me pining for an early ice out in APP and several trips into the interior this year. Let's hope the bugs won't be as bad as the 2019 season!

Question about one of my prospective trips planned for the 2020 season....

My usual 'guys' trip will be going out of Cedar Lake this year. We want to hit Burntroot, Catfish, and the Nipissing River along our route with possibly of adding another night on one of the high elevation spring fed lakes (Whiskeyjack or Robinson)

Do you suggest going up the Petawawa and down the Nipissing? Or going up the Nipissing and down the Petawawa? Our guys trip consists of 4-6 able bodied younger (late 20's early 30's) gents who have all been the Park several times.

Thanks in advance all! 

1/13/2020 1:50 pm  #2

Re: Catfish/Burntroot/Nipissing Route - In Which Direction?

As portages go, the major difference is that the big hill coming from Cedar to Catfish is steeper than hills between the Nip and Catfish or Burntroot (don't know what option you consider). The way you describe your party - it doesn't matter which direction you take. I consider all lakes on your route to be prime destinations (though Catfish tends to be too crowded for my taste) and won't make my decision based only on one portage.

1/13/2020 4:00 pm  #3

Thanks Eddy for the info. 

Yes, as you stated my biggest obstacles would either be the Unicorn Hill portage or the 1930m between Remona and the Nip.

At this time, we're probably going to go Cedar -> Catfish -> Burntroot -> Nip (Plumb Junction) but I just wanted to canvas AA'ers. Our group has never gone out of Access 27 (we're all from SWO so the driving distance usually deters us) 

1/13/2020 4:28 pm  #4

During spring ice-off the Nip could be a tiresome upstream paddle if water levels are high. Travelling up the Pet from Cedar, however, is not normally a problem as the fast-water approaches at the downstream end of the ports are short and usually do-able. At lower water levels the trip up the Nip from Cedar to Nadine port and further up to the connection through to Burntroot (via Remona and Whiskey Jack) is fine and people do it often enough.

1/13/2020 4:39 pm  #5

A few years back we did this exact trip in 4 days. In my opinion I would go in the Pet and come out the Nip for the reasons above, and also because the Remona L to Nip portage would suck going from the River. It is a steady downhill march from Remona to the river. And more importantly, winding your way downstream on the Nip for hours is more fun I bet than paddling upstream for even longer. You will love this trip. 

1/14/2020 8:59 am  #6

Personally, I would go over Unicorn Hill.  Once reaching Catfish, I would camp on Lynx Lake.  Nice site on point on your right as you reach Lake and good trout fishing to boot.

I have done this same trip a few times in the past.  I would definitely camp on Whiskeyjack rather than Robinson as campsites are better, water is clearer than Robinson, and again some excellent fishing for trout again.  When you reach Burntroot after the short portage from Perley, there is a root cellar that is worth seeing.

Have a good trip and as I said previously, if you are planning on fishing you’re in prime trout territory.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/14/2020 10:07 am  #7

I'd say that Robinson island site is as close to my definition of perfect as ti gets. All in all it's all in the eye of the beholder. I had cheerless experience on highly recommended sites more than once and since long ago decided that the more I know about my camping options the less exciting it is. It definitely helps to avoid disappointment at finding out that a site you were aiming at since January to be occupied.

1/14/2020 12:36 pm  #8

Thanks for the responses all! It's much appreciated to someone who has yet to access out of Cedar Lake.

Martin - excellent point about the Nip water levels. I plan to do the full Nip (from Big Bob to Cedar) next 2021 Spring with a fishing buddy.  I was not a fan of the Tim during low water levels in 2019 so I will try to stick to 'Gonq rivers in the Springtime. Thanks.

Evan - love yours videos! I believe I saw you do this prospective loop in one of your videos? Thanks!
What's your go to single-malt? My personal favourite is a Lagavulin. 

Bo - You''re quite the Algonquin royalty sir! Thanks for the trout fishing pointers - we will hopefully put them to good use! Great point about using Lynx Lake instead of Catfish to stay away from the 'crowds'. We may be a bit louder group as we're 4-6 people and we don't want to inhibit others' Algonquin experience. 

Eddy - great point about not gunning for a specific campsite. We've all been skunked a few times on certain lakes and it does smart if you've been anticipating it for months! 

1/16/2020 10:22 pm  #9

geologicaldust wrote:

Evan - love yours videos! I believe I saw you do this prospective loop in one of your videos? Thanks!
What's your go to single-malt? My personal favourite is a Lagavulin. 

Hey thanks for watching! Between May 2015 and May 2016 for some reason we did almost all of our trips out of Cedar, and I would recommend all of those loops. A very rainy and windy May 2015 was when we did the exact route discussed above. If staying on Catfish I would recommend Shangri La Island (did have roaches though in 2015) but the campsite on the point to the east of the island is even nicer, IMO.
Currently I have been enjoying my personal favourite (in a reasonable price point), Glenlivet Founders Reserve. But Santa did bring a McClellands Islay which has been tasty as well. Maybe on our spring trip we will taste test the Lagavulin around the fire! Cheers.

1/20/2020 11:55 am  #10

Based on the your projected route, Catfish to Burntroot, I highly recommend you begin at Petawawa and suggest you skip Lynx all together.  Why would you want to make that unnecessary and time consuming detour? To "avoid crowds"? There are tons of campsites on Catfish, unless you're heading in on a long weekend. Then yes, it may be tough to find a decent site. Incidentally, the fishing is not that great in Lynx anymore. Keep on trucking, I say. When you reach Catfish, try and scoop the campsite east of Shangri La if you can.  It's a beautiful semi-secluded site.  Also, the port between Ramona and Nipissing River is easy walking, but it certainly is long. I single carried that non stop at 50 years old. Yes, you read that right.

And finally, you're going to be traveling through some prime fishing areas. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you a fishing suggestion worth while, if you're bringing your fishing equipment.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.