You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/02/2020 12:47 pm  #1

Using a Fish Finder in a Canoe

My dad gave me an old fish finder and I'm just wondering how folks use these from a canoe?  I'm assuming the transducer needs to go in the water somehow or does it need to be attached to the bottom of the canoe (pls excuse my ignorance here I'm a total fishing noob)?  Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

1/02/2020 4:56 pm  #2

Re: Using a Fish Finder in a Canoe

It depends on what kind of transducer your unit has.  Mine has a suction cup mount like this one that you need to remember to pull up before landing the canoe or you`ll wreck the transducer.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Lowrance-Eagle-Suction-Cup-Kit/738118.uts

1/03/2020 8:57 am  #3

Looks like mine has something similar.  So I would just slap that on the bottom side of the canoe and I should be good to go?  Good tip on remembering to bring it in before pulling up though

1/03/2020 1:43 pm  #4

I remember Steve Molson used to use one with his kayak all the time but cant recall what his setup was.  But yeah gotta be something that attaches to the bottom of the canoe.  

There's no stopping you now Steve … 

1/04/2020 12:23 am  #5

Hahah a fish could literally jump in my canoe and I still likely wouldn't be able to land it...but thanks DW!

1/04/2020 9:40 am  #6

i shoot my depth finder through the hull of my canoe,, i  just hang the transducer in a plastic  bag full of water from a thwart pointing down,, i use a" fish hawk" no bigger than a large flash light,,

1/04/2020 10:38 am  #7

May I ask why you put it in a bag of water? 

1/04/2020 2:16 pm  #8

I don’t know much about these depth finders but if it works like some kind of sonar device then you need need to put it in water so it can send out waves and detect the reflected waves. The waves would be transmitted through the canoe hull but I would expect that you get a fairly large reflection as well, causing some signal attenuation and perhaps a “false” reading at a depth of a few centimetres.

1/04/2020 3:44 pm  #9

1/05/2020 12:21 pm  #10

i use a hawk eye h22px temp gauge, depth finder,

1/06/2020 12:56 pm  #11

You mean you guys don't use the "throw a large rock over the edge of the canoe and count until you don't see bubbles anymore" method?

1/20/2020 9:27 am  #12

Man i am way ahead of you guys . Bought a hummingbird decades ago , late 80's , and put it in a camera dry box. Transducer is attached to a two piece 1/4 '' rod which is then attached to a small C clamp. Just bought an 8 AA battery holder and use rechargeable batteries. This is a way smaller and lighter setup than the 2 lantern battery unit they used to sell. Get 3 -4 days use . The box is like 6 x 8 x 4 inches . The box is 100% waterproof and strong enough to be stood on.Everything fits in the dry box, unit,cable,transducer and clamp rig and battery pack
Only takes mins to tighten the c clamp over the gunnel ,plug the wires in and you're in business. Take it everywhere on canoe trips through Algonquin.One troll around a lake and i know more about holes , drop offs etc than if you fished the lake for 20 yrs.Also shows fish icons < 1 lb, 1-2 lbs and >3 lbs .

Last edited by Antman (1/20/2020 9:34 am)

1/20/2020 10:22 am  #13

Antman do you have any pics of your setup?

1/20/2020 4:42 pm  #14

I don't but i will take a pic for you . I will also include a second setup that uses the cheap chinese unit mentioned by Swift fifteen. It is even smaller and lighter and uses some telescopic antennae like rod instead of the 2 piece 1/4 '' inch steel rod.
These units allow me to stay in the 12-15  ft depth range i like and hence saves me on snagged lures . With a ball bearing swivel its getting darned expensive to snag up.

1/20/2020 7:53 pm  #15

Steve,
Here are the two sonar setups and my portable fishing kit

1/20/2020 9:42 pm  #16

That's awesome Antman!  Thanks for sharing those pics.  I have the exact same fishfinder (Humminbird) and I have a Pelican Case about that size...I might do something similar!  The AA's work ok eh?  Looks way lighter than the 2 massive batteries I have for mine!

1/20/2020 10:53 pm  #17

The black case is about 9 x6 x4 inches high . Total weight about 5 lbs . Since i am not in very deep water usually i think i draw less power . Used 8 ni cad sanyo rechargeables . Now you could use lithium ions i guess. The old styled lantern batteries are too much for a 5 day trip . You can always bring in some extra AA's. Both units use a 2 '' C clamp . Found the suction cups don't hold.
Fish one lake with unbelievable under water structure . A reef that goes out hundreds of metres .Notice the small tackle box which is still too big . The amt of lures i see guys bring in is ridiculous. Stealth is also handy as that case fits in my chest pack and anyone seeing me at the dock or travelling in doesn't know i am fishing.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.