You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2019 1:47 pm  #1

Little Island Lake

Does anyone have any intell on the sites on Little Island Lake?

Not surprisingly, the words "little", "island" and "lake" produced A LOT of hits (even when searched as a phrase)!

12/31/2019 1:02 pm  #2

Re: Little Island Lake

I stopped on the westernmost island site for a break a few years back and remember thinking it wasn’t bad. Decent amount of space, but iirc it felt a bit closed in thanks to the mostly tree covered shoreline.

1/01/2020 2:15 am  #3

John McClane wrote:

Does anyone have any intell on the sites on Little Island Lake?

Not surprisingly, the words "little", "island" and "lake" produced A LOT of hits (even when searched as a phrase)!

Ah, One of my favourite little weekend getaways. It's not a big lake and it doesn't offer a lot of day-tripping options but great for some R&R. Jeff says there are fish in that lake but I fear they must know my boat.
I bushwhacked around the island once. Don't try it.There are no paths and it's pretty thick but I did come across a couple of old, long abandoned camps along the south side. That's always neat.

Site #1 -  Located on the north shore, to the right of the portage. I don't know anything about this one. I know I've paddled by but I assume I saw nothing that interested me enough to pull in. Note to self.

Site #2 -  The first island site. The area around the fire pit is open and you have a view of the night sky. Room for multiple tents. Open view to the east provides morning sun.

Site #3 - The best site on the lake. It's located on a point so while the main portion of the site gets the morning sun, there is a clearing on the south-west side of the site that receives sunlight for most of the afternoon as well. The site is flat with a nice bed of pine needles, has good water access for landing and swimming and a great view. While the center of the site is open allowing for sunning and stargazing, there are a number of large pines to the rear providing cover for tents. A kitchen area has been constructed to one side providing a large counter for food prep and a stable cooking area. Not something I particularly like to see but I'll use it if it's there.

Site #4 - The south-west island site is large in area (a result of being often used by the Camp Tanamakoon girls, perhaps?) and beautiful with a sandy landing but its view is poor due to being located in the narrows across from the mainland. 

Site #5 - Good size site with a nice beach landing. Same view as site #4. In fact, this site more or less merges with site #4. Good for a group.

Dave

1/03/2020 10:18 am  #4

Huge thank you, Algonquintripper! I assume your site numbering is going counterclockwise around the island?

1/03/2020 11:14 pm  #5

John McClane wrote:

Huge thank you, Algonquintripper! I assume your site numbering is going counterclockwise around the island?

Only if you're counting backwards, John.
I think you're following the highlighted canoe route. Don't. My numbering assumes you are bearing left from the 320m portage, keeping the island on your right.

Site #1 is on the north shore, just to the right of the 320m portage.
Site #2 is directly south of that on the east side of the island.
Site #3 is below that and just above the purported fishes.
Sites 4 & 5, the big conjoined sites, are the ones on the western end of the island, near the 225m portage.

Dave

1/04/2020 9:56 am  #6

Haha! Thanks for clarifying. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.