You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2019 10:58 am  #1

Our fifth annual trip

Hi All,

My brother, my son, and I completed our fifth annual canoe trip in the north west corner of Algonquin the last week of August this year. 
I managed to turn our notes into a text and photo review: http://themasonfamily.ca/algonquin/summer-2019-trip.html

Another great trip!
Sean

12/01/2019 2:08 pm  #2

Re: Our fifth annual trip

Hi Sean!
How did your knee turn out?
And what exactly is that "packaged corn beef"? Sounds interesting. 

12/02/2019 7:05 pm  #3

There was no permanent damage to my knee.  I bruised the "patella" (knee-cap), and learned that bones can be bruised. (I didn't know that before Birchcliffe...)

I found the "Corned Beef" at a local "Freshco".  There was a large end-of-the-isle box of them on sale for $0.98 a month or so before our trip so I picked a few up since I believe it satisfies the "no cans or bottles" rule.  That was the first and last time I've ever seen it, though I've not searched too hard to find it again!

Here's a photo of the left-over package I still have:
http://themasonfamily.ca/photos/corned_beef.jpeg

12/02/2019 11:08 pm  #4

Great TR thanks!  If that guy was doing 5+ carries into 3 Mile that is pretty crazy, it isn't like that would be his only portage.  Good to hear the knee healed up.  

1/04/2020 8:00 am  #5

I liked your tarp setup with the canoe!

1/04/2020 10:02 am  #6

I really enjoyed reading your trip report.  I did this trip twice many moons ago.  Thanks for bringing back some fond memories as I found myself reliving my trips as I was reading yours.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

1/17/2020 9:27 pm  #7

@GordK: There was a group of about half a dozen, possibly a youth group?  They looked completely gassed - we silently hoped they were scheduled to stay on one of the "Kawas", but we had already passed two groups that told us they were staying there, so that wasn't looking too good for them.

@Ron_S: Thanks!  It turned out to be a very comfortable spot.

@boknows: Thank you for reading, Bo!  We're getting psyched for this years trip, hoping we can find time for one!  We're toying with the Tim river up to the Nippissing, over and down to Robinson/Burntroot, "The Trouts", Petawawa, and back out via Little Misty, Queer, and the Tim River.  There is a fair bit of repeat there for us, so we're still searching...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.