You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2019 11:00 am  #1

West to East. I go one way, you the other, we swap keys in the middle

So here's an idea I have for next camping season, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has some interest, even if only at the theoretical level at this point. I'd love to cross Algonquin from west to east (or east to west, I don't particularly care which), but I don't have the time to turn that into a round trip. So I was thinking, if there were another camper (or a group, as long as you can fit in one car!) interested in doing the same thing in the other direction, then maybe we could coordinate. We meet somewhere in the middle and exchange car keys. We complete our trips, drive each others' cars to a meeting point somewhere in the middle, we swap back and everyone goes home. 

It would take some coordination, and probably both groups having inReach devices in case anyone falls behind schedule, but it would let everyone do a one-way trip across the park without the same level of effort that would normally require. 

Any takers? 

10/29/2019 4:24 pm  #2

Re: West to East. I go one way, you the other, we swap keys in the middle

You could avoid the need to meet up if you just hid your car keys in a nearby "Geocache" and only shared the coordinates with the other party. But you still have to coordinate end dates and times and that is probably too much trouble, compared to getting an Uber to shuttle you back. I wonder what the cost would be for such an Uber?

10/30/2019 6:51 am  #3

So I think this is a good idea. I have looked at a few 1 way routes and discounted them either because of the cost, time or unavailability of a car shuttle.

I contemplated a spring fishing route for next year that started at Tim and ended at Opeongo. Don’t see an outfitter that offers that shuttle and even  if they did based on the prices of similar shuttles it would likely be over $300.

And thanks for mentioning the inReach to inReach communication. Until I looked it up I didn’t know this was possible. Apparently I have an inReach email address that has to be used. Only works for inReach to InReach.Have had an inReach for years and never knew this. https://support-inreach.roadpost.ca/kb/articles/sending-messages-between-inreach-devices-inreach-to-inreach-messaging

All that said not sure I’m your guy for a cross park trip.  Any trip across the park I would contemplate I think would have to end by heading down the Pet from Cedar to McManus. Not sure anyone would wanna be the guy parking at McManus and traveling west up the Pet to Radiant or Cedar. Would have to end/start at Achray I think.
Plus I don’t  likely have the 8 consecutive nights I would want to do that trip in available any time soon. 

Good luck!! making it work though. I like original solutions to problems.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

10/30/2019 7:37 am  #4

hmmmm sounds interesting!

I'm just gone Fishin!

11/01/2019 5:38 am  #5

ShawnD wrote:

So I think this is a good idea. I have looked at a few 1 way routes and discounted them either because of the cost, time or unavailability of a car shuttle.

I contemplated a spring fishing route for next year that started at Tim and ended at Opeongo. Don’t see an outfitter that offers that shuttle and even if they did based on the prices of similar shuttles it would likely be over $300.

And thanks for mentioning the inReach to inReach communication. Until I looked it up I didn’t know this was possible. Apparently I have an inReach email address that has to be used. Only works for inReach to InReach.Have had an inReach for years and never knew this. https://support-inreach.roadpost.ca/kb/articles/sending-messages-between-inreach-devices-inreach-to-inreach-messaging

All that said not sure I’m your guy for a cross park trip. Any trip across the park I would contemplate I think would have to end by heading down the Pet from Cedar to McManus. Not sure anyone would wanna be the guy parking at McManus and traveling west up the Pet to Radiant or Cedar. Would have to end/start at Achray I think.
Plus I don’t likely have the 8 consecutive nights I would want to do that trip in available any time soon.

Good luck!! making it work though. I like original solutions to problems.

Your InReach also has its own phone number technically. When I message my wife from in the bush she gets a text from a phone number which is device specific. This phone number can be texted like normal from any device and the message will appear on the InReach,  So as long as you have both inReach's unique phone numbers you'd b good to go. She has had the same phone number saved in her contacts for my InReach for over 4 years now and it has never changed.

Last edited by ATVenture (11/01/2019 5:39 am)

11/17/2019 6:41 pm  #6

That sounds interesting,definitely on my bucket list. I am building a new home next spring so camping trips will likely take a backseat in 2020. Possibly 2021 if you don't do it next season.

11/18/2019 12:49 pm  #7

I have often thought of doing this too. Even doing a north south version, or corner to corner (Kiosk to Booth). If i didn't already have next summer kind of booked up I would have done it. 

Instead of driving each others cars back to a meeting point at the end, maybe doing it before leaves it open so you don't have to coordinate the finish, just the start: 

Meet in the middle somewhere, switch cars and then drive each others cars to the put in/take out points. That way your car is just waiting for you at the end. Keys handed off mid trip or geocached as mentioned.

11/18/2019 2:59 pm  #8

I'd say that's probably a better idea, yeah. When the trip is over I just want to get home, whereas switching cars at the start of the trip makes it part of the adventure. And of course everyone can finish their trips on their own schedule, without having to worry about being at a meeting place on a specific date and time. 

11/19/2019 12:40 am  #9

APPaul wrote:

I have often thought of doing this too. Even doing a north south version, or corner to corner (Kiosk to Booth). If i didn't already have next summer kind of booked up I would have done it. 

Instead of driving each others cars back to a meeting point at the end, maybe doing it before leaves it open so you don't have to coordinate the finish, just the start: 

Meet in the middle somewhere, switch cars and then drive each others cars to the put in/take out points. That way your car is just waiting for you at the end. Keys handed off mid trip or geocached as mentioned.

that is a good idea APPaul, another option would be a spare set of keys and have the other driver lock them in your car when he or she drops it off. This would avoid a meet up if that makes it easier.

11/19/2019 11:22 am  #10

I am actually really interested in this sort of thing myself, for all the same reasons logistically.

I like APPaul's suggestion as well, drive the other person's vehicle to the Access point the other group will be using to leave... and could the keys not be left with the Parks employee at the access point ? Assuming there is an office at the Access Point, but the trips can be planned around this...

Let's make it happen! I am on the East side of APP, any takers on the west?

11/19/2019 12:11 pm  #11

I'm happy to coordinate with anyone on this board who wants to do it, and I don't particularly care where I start from either. From a timing perspective, I'd be looking at an early Spring trip (ideally pre-blackflies), or any time in July through the first week or so of August as my start date. Message me if you want to talk plans!

2/24/2020 9:18 am  #12

Maybe a few more people are starting to think about this year's camping trips than would have been in November. 

I'd love for one of my trips this year to be an 'across the park' trip, but from a time perspective it'll only work if I find a willing person/group to do this key swap plan. To recap, the best idea in this thread (which was not mine), was:

The two parties meet up wherever 'half way' happens to be for the people involved and swap vehicles. Each party then heads to their respective access points (one west, one east) and begins their trips. They meet up in the middle of the park and swap keys back. Then both parties have their own car waiting for them at the end of their trip, and can simply drive home. 

If anyone's interested, let me know please!

2/24/2020 9:29 am  #13

An easier option is to simply lock the keys in the trunk and bring a spare with you to avoid having to meet up during your trip. The car exchange is a great idea though. Wish I could help this year but I have other plans already this year.

2/24/2020 9:32 am  #14

Yeah, that's also a good idea, although meeting up with an AA'er and swapping camping stories (along with keys) isn't a fate worth than death - but it does make planning easier for sure. 

2/26/2020 11:40 am  #15

Uppa,
Sadly this is not the year for this for myself. The Single Malt fellas already have our trip plans done for 2020, and unfortunately this is not on the table.
However, I am still very interested in this idea, and am working on a trip plan starting at Hambone and working through to McManus as an option for 2021. 

If this gets shelved for you as well, keep us in mind for next year!

2/26/2020 12:27 pm  #16

I'll keep it in mind Evan. And whether or I end getting a taker for this year or not, that doesn't mean I might not want to cross the park again next year anyway!

2/26/2020 12:53 pm  #17

Would you consider September, or would that not work? And which access points interest you the most?

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.