You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2019 6:12 am  #1

Achray 2019

Just returned from a weekend trip to Achray campground and I have to say it beats any of the highway 60 campgrounds by a very very wide margin. Small, quiet and with a beautiful little beach and hiking trails nearby it is certainly a gem. I'm glad it's a way over on the east side of the park and away from the madness of the corridor as only serious serenity seeking campers seem to venture there!
Not a trace of trash anywhere!!! Which has not been my experience with the more popular campgrounds

9/30/2019 6:22 am  #2

Re: Achray 2019

Yes, it’s really a great spot. Plenty to keep you busy and still very quiet. The drive from Toronto keeps the majority away but it’s still very busy weekends in the summer.

10/10/2019 2:57 pm  #3

Yes, Achray is great.  Plus a nice trip before turnoff to Achray to walk up the trail and look down at the Barron River as it flows through the canyon.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

10/11/2019 12:11 pm  #4

Yes Bo!! I visit it everytime I'm up there

10/29/2019 10:19 am  #5

What is the condition of the gravel road compared to Rock Lake?

10/30/2019 9:07 am  #6

tldr: both roads are in good shape with more washboard on Barron

Depending on where you are heading there are two roads in the east, Barron Canyon and then Achray Road.  The Achray road is a turn off from the main road.  It is slightly shorter than Rock and very similar - both usually being in fine condition.  The Barron Canyon road is slightly wider and the wash-boarding on it is wild.  They seem to be grading it constantly but doesn't appear to make a difference.  I haven't encountered too many logging trucks on the road but plenty of support vehicles that tend to drive the road at 100 mph.  No potholes in the Barron canyon road (maybe due to all the grading), you see the odd one on Achray just like Rock.  I've seen a black bear/s about 4 or 5 times on Barron and Achray in about a dozen trips.  None on Rock in about 10 trips.

10/30/2019 1:24 pm  #7

I can certainly attest to the speeding of support vehicles! I was overtaken and passed on a curve and left to navigate through a dust and gravel cloud

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.