You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/24/2019 12:58 pm  #1

neck pain solution

i have been getting neck pain from portaging my back pack, a simple one bag 40l. canoe pack, with waste strap,,
    any ideas about a solution,, new pack insights?

Last edited by swedish pimple (10/24/2019 12:59 pm)

10/24/2019 4:19 pm  #2

Re: neck pain solution

I've never been a fan of canoe packs for this exact reason. I find that without the frame of a more traditional hiking backpack, my shoulders and neck feel terrible. 

Are you a die hard canoe pack packer or would you consider a more traditional hiking pack? I always have my food, clothes and sleeping bag in dry sacks anyway so the added benefit of a completely waterproof pack has never been a big draw for me. 

If you are going to explore new packs, I'd go to a store with a good sales rep (I like Adventure Guide in Waterloo and some MECs have really good people) and have them fit the pack to you specifically. Pay close attention to how to position the load lifter straps. Those are the straps that go from the top of your shoulder to the top of the pack. I find when my load lifters or my chest strap get wonky, my neck gets sore. I also look for a sturdy hip belt and moves with me. This may be an issue more specific to hippy women so it may not be a high priority for you. 

10/24/2019 4:40 pm  #3

My latest trip included the use of a portage pack for the first time since I was in high school, but this one was by Granite Gear and quite large.  But I mention it because in addition to a good waist belt, it has adjusters that allowed me to pull the load closer into my spine, plus one of those dealies that pulls the two shoulder straps together in front of my chest.  Now, mine was so large and so heavy I did end up with some neck/shoulder pain on the first day, HOWEVER.....

How about this idea!  Osprey Porter 46.  They run in a variety of sizes, 46L is one of the sizes, so that's really close to what you're using.  Older ones can be found on Ebay reasonably.  They have just the features I was mentioning - shoulder adjustments, good waist belt, strap across chest, and they are very similar to a portage bag in that they have one main compartment.  They don't open from the top, however, they open from the back, so you have to lay it down, but it is one big, very easy to pack-and-zip compartment.  There are one or two small areas to put things, but I liked the first one we got so well that I bought a second.  I use them on business trips.  Super nice bag. 

Maybe this would offer you some different support that would prevent the neck issues?  Hard to tell of course, one has to try these things, but the cost of trying is not too bad.  I see them ranging from $65 - $130 on Ebay, some new, some used, some older and unused, they really run the range in that respect, but I have found that Osprey makes a heck of a nice backpack.

10/24/2019 11:25 pm  #4

I don’t know how you can get away with only a 40 l pack. I wish I could but I always end up overstuffing my 85 l pack. The neck and shoulder pain is minimized when most of the weight goes to the hip belt. That means you need a tight cinched up pack with a frame and the “load lifters” slacked off enough to take the weight off your shoulders and put onto your hips.

An alternative may be to just hang the 40 l pack on a tump line. How heavy could a 40 l pack be?

10/25/2019 6:35 am  #5

I was going to suggest trying a tump line as well.  One caveat...I would recommend building up your tump muscles before just tossing it on with a full load.  Changing the shape and forces of the pack includes several options, with a tump being one that could substantially alter your posture in the process.

1. Good waist-bearing belt tightly cinched to help carry the load
2. Snug shoulder straps to keep the pack weight close to your spine...any space between the weight and your body will exacerbate the drag with additional torque
3. Tump line to aid in weight distribution...and alter your posture to one that might relieve some of the stresses you are presently experiencing.

10/25/2019 6:58 am  #6

Swede; I go a little unconventional, as you know my back is fu**ed, so what I do now is load my pack upside down (basically load the heavy stuff on the bottom), and tighten the hip belt to the point of almost being uncomfortable to put 90% of the weight on my hips and waist. then I tighten the shoulder straps just enough to stabilize the load without transferring all that weight to them. It takes a little getting used to, but it works.

10/25/2019 6:59 am  #7

Swede; I go a little unconventional, as you know my back is fu**ed, so what I do now is load my pack upside down (basically load the heavy stuff on the bottom), and tighten the hip belt to the point of almost being uncomfortable to put 90% of the weight on my hips and waist. then I tighten the shoulder straps just enough to stabilize the load without transferring all that weight to them. It takes a little getting used to, but it works.
Beware of tumps- if you're already experiencing neck pain, putting all that weight on your neck probably isn't a good idea

10/25/2019 9:17 am  #8

Swede what kind of bag are you using now? does it fit you properly.?

Most of my bags now are sized to the person who will use them. My wife's main bag is a short torso bag for example. My bags are fit to my longer torso. It makes a big difference in my opinion. Its one of the reasons backpacking bags are more comfortable than one size fits all canoe bags  as they almost always offer S/M/L torso lengths.

Companies like Granite Gear and CCS sell bags in different torso lengths. My solo bag was custom made and I actually sent in my measurements before he made the bag. it rests in all the right places..

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

10/25/2019 1:21 pm  #9

that is my canoe pack,, sorry it is over 40 l.  the old "camp trails" pack, from the early 1990`s?  time for a new pack,, 

Last edited by swedish pimple (10/25/2019 1:23 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.