You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/28/2019 11:13 am  #1

Any recently added campsites?

This topic is relevant to planning a canoe trip, since many of us may not have an up-to-date map.

This past Thursday, I did the Booth's Rock Trail and circled through the Barclay Estate peninsula. Having an older map in my pocket, I was surprised to come across a campsite on the north side of the peninsula. When leaving the area, I stopped in at the campground office and inquired about it.

Apparently it was 'added' last year. I happened to turn around and look at their wall map. There it was! However, the date on the map was 2019-2020 .. a brand new map! I asked if there were any other new campsites on Rock Lake. The answer was no. The next day, when leaving the park, I stopped in at the West Gate and bought a copy of the new map.

I don't have the time right now to compare the new map with an older one, looking for added sites. That's why I'm posting here asking if anyone has come across recently added backcountry campsites?

By the way, I wasn't particularly impressed with this new campsite .. rather dismal with a narrow northerly exposure and questionable privacy, being so close to the trail and estate point.

9/28/2019 3:04 pm  #2

Re: Any recently added campsites?

A few years ago, a backpacking site was added on the NW shore of Clara Lk on the Western Uplands Trail. Not sure if it is on the newer maps.

9/28/2019 3:48 pm  #3

that photo looks like a nice spot for a campsite,,, i wonder if other campsites will be opened up in the future?

Last edited by swedish pimple (9/29/2019 8:14 am)

9/28/2019 5:38 pm  #4

Re Methye: The old 2012-2013 Canoe Routes Map shows 2 backpacking sites and 1 canoe site on Clara Lake. The new 2019-2020 map shows the same count, but with the canoe campsite having been relocated from the SE corner (east of the portage to Floss Lake), to the west shore (south of the portage to McCormack Lake).

9/28/2019 5:53 pm  #5

Over on Shirley Lake, it appears that a campsite may have been 'decommissioned'. 

The 2012-2013 Canoe Routes Map shows a campsite located immediately north of the portage to Ryan Lake. That campsite was visited in 2010 (see photo) by myself and added to the PCI in 2013 .. http://www.algonquinadventures.com/PCI/lakes/Shirley/ShirleyCS6.htm .

However, it doesn't appear on the new 2019-2020 Canoe Routes Map. Has anyone specific knowledge about the status of this campsite?

Another change appears on Shirley Lake on the new map. The 'non-existent' campsite which had previously been incorrectly portrayed at the very south end of Shirley Lake has now finally been removed and the correct portrayal of three campsites immediately south of the portage to Ryan Lake has been made to the new 2019-2020 Canoe Routes Map.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.