You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2019 1:33 pm  #1

Using designated fire pits only

I was in the park paddling through Big Trout Lake on September 13 heading towards White Trout when I came across what seemed like a small shore fire very close to the 'Narrows' (per Jeff's Map).  I took this picture from my canoe as I paddled closer.

Thought I would take a closer look and see if I could put out some hot spots as the fire didn't look too bad from the water and considering the winds were pretty heavy I was hoping to keep the fire from spreading.  Well when I got to shore I saw pretty quickly how bad the fire was as it had traveled at least 15 meters in from the shore.  I took a picture of the cause of the fire and literally hot footed it back into my canoe as there wasn't much I could do with my 2L pot.

Long story short there is a very good reason to only use designated fire pits in the back country as I'm sure most of us know that the park rangers dig down and put sand/gravel/stone underneath the fire pit to prevent the ground from smoldering and eventually leading to a forest fire.  On a brighter note, as anyone in the park that Friday night would know, there was quite the thunder storm passing through and probably/hopefully provided enough rain to put out the fire before it became uncontrollable.

10/03/2019 11:43 am  #2

Re: Using designated fire pits only

Great work, it's a shame to see this happening more often these days.  I pulled into a campsite on Three Mile in 2017 (right after those big forest fires were put out) to the fire pit seating smoldering from coals not properly extinguished travelling through the ground. 

9/15/2020 12:36 pm  #3

Re: Using designated fire pits only

A huge tip of my cap to ya faitzy! 

I'm just gone Fishin!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.