You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2019 10:32 am  #1

Where are you this Labour Day?

Hi folks,

I know it's last minute, but I'm antsy to get out this long weekend and am just killing time.
Wondering where everyone is going if you're out there this long weekend? 
I've got a group heading into Lorne Lake just north of North Tea Lake.  Farthest north I've gone in Algonquin, looking for some trout and some solitude.

If you're going through, wave at the idiots in the red canoe with an Ewok on the front!

Ian

8/30/2019 1:23 pm  #2

Re: Where are you this Labour Day?

Misty, White Trout, McIntosh area. Going for a week and hoping the weather holds up for most of it at least

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/30/2019 1:57 pm  #3

Kiosk area. We will be close but we wont see eachother. I'm doing Manitou, North Tea, Biggar, Three Mile, Erables, Mouse, etc. Over 4 nights.

8/30/2019 2:13 pm  #4

Planning a day trip into Booth or Shirley. I could really use a few nights with a campfire, but reality is that there just isn't time to prepare so a long day trip on Sunday is our best option. 

8/30/2019 3:06 pm  #5

RobW wrote:

... but reality is that there just isn't time to prepare so a long day trip on Sunday is our best option. 

At midnight before yesterday the wife suggests moving up our trip by a couple weeks. So yesterday I booked one of Swift's remaining canoes, the last motel room in South River, and spent all night, from after work to 3 in the morning packing. I think it was a solid 6 hours spent packing. Now I'm super tired, nursing my coffee, waiting for the clock to count down so I can leave work and we can start driving. If it wasn't a rush I probably would have taken most of the week to get ready. Good news is that our destination lake still has 7/7 sites available. I'll be on Craig.

8/30/2019 3:30 pm  #6

Yeah, last year I threw stuff together before going to pick Pete up at the end of his summer working out of Kiosk and we did a 3 day trip. I was close to doing basically the same thing this year but I don't have to make the trip to Kiosk and with everything else going on it's easier to just go to the cottage and do a long day trip on Sunday. 

Next year I need to get back to planning and scheduling a couple of trips in January, rather that waiting and trying to work around everyone else's schedule. 

8/31/2019 7:07 am  #7

Canoe Lake for the weekend. If all goes according to plan, I’ll be doing a day trip up into the Ahmek District tomorrow. Anyone heading out of Grand Central Algonquin this weekend? If so, drop by and say hi.

9/02/2019 11:36 pm  #8

solos wrote:

Good news is that our destination lake still has 7/7 sites available. I'll be on Craig.

Came back from Craig and it was an excellent trip. My 22 month old loved the trip, loved visiting the beach on the east side of the lake, and said she wants to sleep in the tent again. We were lucky enough to get the small island on the west end and it’s beautiful, big rock outcropping, raised up with a perfect view down the lake and flat on top. Although the lake had zero reservations as of Thursday, on Saturday morning we were the fourth group to head into that lake. I think we saw the fifth group heading in as we were trying to find access 1b. The roads were in excellent condition, I would feel comfortable driving a small car on them. It was a short paddle and 3 short portages to get it. So I can’t figure it out. The wife summed up my thoughts exactly: it’s easy to drive to, a short easy paddle in, big beautiful lake, extensive beach, it has everything you want from the park, why isn’t it more popular?

9/03/2019 1:51 pm  #9

solos wrote:

solos wrote:

Good news is that our destination lake still has 7/7 sites available. I'll be on Craig.

Came back from Craig and it was an excellent trip. My 22 month old loved the trip, loved visiting the beach on the east side of the lake, and said she wants to sleep in the tent again. We were lucky enough to get the small island on the west end and it’s beautiful, big rock outcropping, raised up with a perfect view down the lake and flat on top. Although the lake had zero reservations as of Thursday, on Saturday morning we were the fourth group to head into that lake. I think we saw the fifth group heading in as we were trying to find access 1b. The roads were in excellent condition, I would feel comfortable driving a small car on them. It was a short paddle and 3 short portages to get it. So I can’t figure it out. The wife summed up my thoughts exactly: it’s easy to drive to, a short easy paddle in, big beautiful lake, extensive beach, it has everything you want from the park, why isn’t it more popular?

I was wondering the same, we stayed on Nahma and it was a beautiful little lake. Not the greatest campsites, but still not the worst I have seen by far.

9/03/2019 1:59 pm  #10

Here is the summary of our day trip:

Caught smallmouth, caught trout, broke a seat, whittled and lashed together a replacement, caught more trout, caught pike.It may have been only a day trip but it we finally made it to Algonquin for the first time this year.

9/04/2019 12:24 pm  #11

at home

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.