You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/25/2019 11:18 am  #1

8/25/2019 1:22 pm  #2

Re: Ontario Parks Online Updates

That’s great news. Now I have even more reason to buy my own canoe so that I can hit the water at dawn’s first light ... or maybe the outfitters will start letting you rent a canoe at anytime... kind of like an Airbnb where you get a passcode to unlock the canoe.

8/25/2019 1:39 pm  #3

Is anyone else worried about the department store effect here? It’s already hard enough to find a person to speak to and sort out problems. Once it goes all online they’ll fire all the people.

8/25/2019 7:21 pm  #4

Finally! 

#1 sounds like we can print our permits in advance, but #4 implies we still need to stop and check-in? Hopefully it's the former and I can skip the whole permit office pit stop.

solos wrote:

That’s great news. Now I have even more reason to buy my own canoe so that I can hit the water at dawn’s first light ... or maybe the outfitters will start letting you rent a canoe at anytime... kind of like an Airbnb where you get a passcode to unlock the canoe.

Last year Algonquin Bound delivered the canoe for me the night prior, and left the waiver and safety kit in an accessible spot for me to sign/pick up before they opened. Next weekend I'm doing the same thing starting a trip from Magnetawan Lake. Algonquin North by Kiosk said he would do the same thing (I ended up needing to cancel the trip though).

It depends on the outfitter whether they'll charge for the extra day of the canoe, since they're delivering the night before.

Honestly, Algonquin Outfitters is the only place I've asked to do this that hasn't said yes so far.. which is a shame because I tent to rent from them whenever I'm along Hwy 60. They'll deliver the canoe a day early, but I'd still need to check-in.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/26/2019 3:18 pm  #5

trippythings wrote:

...#1 sounds like we can print our permits in advance, but #4 implies we still need to stop and check-in? Hopefully it's the former and I can skip the whole permit office pit stop.

Last year Algonquin Bound delivered the canoe for me the night prior, and left the waiver and safety kit in an accessible spot for me to sign/pick up before they opened. Next weekend I'm doing the same thing starting a trip from Magnetawan Lake. Algonquin North by Kiosk said he would do the same thing (I ended up needing to cancel the trip though).

It depends on the outfitter whether they'll charge for the extra day of the canoe, since they're delivering the night before.

Honestly, Algonquin Outfitters is the only place I've asked to do this that hasn't said yes so far..

#4 sounds like it may only be for front-country. I hope so.

It's good to know that you've been able to get canoes out of regular hours. Maybe I'll give that a shot. I've dropped off atter hours and it's very convenient. I find if you have to be pick up and drop off between 9-5 (or 8-6 or whatever) then it cuts into how much canoeing time you can do that day, and I like my first & last days to be long specifically to get far away from the crowds near the access points.

9/03/2019 3:27 pm  #6

Has anyone confirmed whether or not you must stop in and register for back country permits, even though you have printed your back country permits?

9/04/2019 8:59 am  #7

Just wanted to echo Trippy's comments on Algonquin Bound above.  Not completely on topic but AB on the East side (Barron) had no problem with me picking up my rental around midnight 2 years ago and dropping it off after hours as well.  They just left forms in their outhouse for me to sign : )

9/06/2019 7:12 pm  #8

After 45mins on the phone and a call back, its all good.  Interesting what's happening with the online reservation system and the upcoming changes. Can't wait until next year.

9/07/2019 5:02 am  #9

Swift Fifteen wrote:

After 45mins on the phone and a call back, its all good.  Interesting what's happening with the online reservation system and the upcoming changes. Can't wait until next year.

So confirmed? No checking in? That's a game changer.

9/09/2019 8:23 am  #10

This really changes the functionality of the jump off campsites at some access points. I've always liked the idea of using the jump off sites at Rain but then I remember I either need to get there before the office closes for a permit (in which case, I might as well paddle in) or drive that terrible road back into town before I leave in the morning. 

In the past, I've pitched a tent on the lawn of Canoe Algonquin in Kearney (with their permission when I'm renting a boat with them) when I've arrived late at night. But now we have our own boat and I don't know that they'd be cool with that for non-customers. 

10/26/2019 2:57 pm  #11

Some things are just too good to be true.

The 'print your permit two weeks in advance' feature is only for parks that do not offer an online reservation service. So this awesome feature does not apply to Algonquin. Which kinda sucks since this was the only part of the online update I was looking forward to. Also, I don't see the possibility to reserve cabins online either (at least for Algonquin, that is). This update is kind of a bust for AP, but definitely some progress for other parks, so thats good.

10/26/2019 3:55 pm  #12

Peek wrote:

Some things are just too good to be true.

The 'print your permit two weeks in advance' feature is only for parks that do not offer an online reservation service. So this awesome feature does not apply to Algonquin. Which kinda sucks since this was the only part of the online update I was looking forward to. Also, I don't see the possibility to reserve cabins online either (at least for Algonquin, that is). This update is kind of a bust for AP, but definitely some progress for other parks, so thats good.

BOOOO!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.