You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/12/2019 10:51 am  #1

Tim River water levels

hi. long time reader on this awesome forum.
Heading into Rosebary in 2 weeks for 4 days with my daughter. Rosebary / Longbow is the target. She is crazy to see moose.
Does anyone have insight / comment on water levels between Tim Lake and Rosebary?  Expect water is low but current report would be great if anyone has been through recently.
thanks in advance

8/12/2019 11:17 am  #2

Re: Tim River water levels

Hi Pete,

Was just recently through Access Point 2 through to Rosebary Lake for the evening. We were there in the middle of July and both our outfitters and Park staff informed us that water levels were 'unseasonably low'. Took us approximately 3.5 hrs from Access to Rosebary (at a leisurely pace, but our group was 4 late 20s gentlemen)

Between Access Point 2 and Tim Lake there were no beaver dams or pull-overs. The Tim starts to restrict past Tim Lake and we hit ~4 beaver dam pull-overs between the P120 and Rosebary Lake. We were able to 'attack' the beaver dams then the stern would get out of the canoe once beached and 'shove-off' downstream. These may have to be portaged dependent on water levels.

The P120 has MASSIVE leach populations at the down-river side. I'm usually not to bothered by them but it was a straight up horror movie scene at the down-river end - just a heads up. After Little Butt Lake, the river starts to flatten out and this is where we saw a large bull moose nibbling in the shallows. Make sure to continue meandering in the shallows as you might bottom out (the lilies will show the way)

We stayed at the southeast campsite of Rosebary Lake. Decent site with  space to swim in and observe wildlife in the narrows between Rosebary/Longbow. There was an island in Rosebary Lake off our campsite that we explored and observed (from a distance) lots of nesting loons and mergansers.

PM me if you'd like other information, cheers!

8/12/2019 11:41 am  #3

Thanks for the speedy reply and all the good info geologicaldust. Leech heads up appreciated too. Expectations with kids are a big deal. 
Little Butt to Rosebary is where I was most worried about water. Not afraid of hard going if it is / will be passable. Will check with outfitter for additional updates. They must have folks heading thru there i expect.  
That Rosebary site is my target too. Thanks for the confirm. 
thanks again

9/03/2019 1:58 pm  #4

I  wanted to 'close out' my Labour Day trip with 1st hand account of Tim River to Rosebary for those that may venture that way soon. May post as a formal Trip Report later. 
1) Chris at Algonquin Basecamp's intel is / was 1st rate! The knee deep muck and 10 beaver dam / lift overs was spot on.
2) SE campsite on Rosebary  (narrows to Longbow) is indeed a nice site. Even better when it isn't windy I would expect.
3) 1" of rain makes a big difference. Return trip was 4 hrs instead of 5. and only 1/2 as much lifting/ wading. 
4) We did not get 'leached' but other parties we spoke with did in the Tim River
5) We did have a close encounter with a nice Bull Moose where Tim meets Rosebary - My daughter is thrilled.
Thanks to those that contribute to a positive Algonquin experience on these forums.

9/03/2019 2:18 pm  #5

Awesome to hear!  Sounds like you guys had a great trip.  I love that area of the park.  I know some find the Tim to be a boring river but I actually quite like it.  You never know what's just around the next bend...and there are lots of those!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.