You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/26/2019 4:34 pm  #1

sand hill cranes spotted

i watched 2 sand hill cranes sat morning ,, they did not fly away, i was 40 feet from them,, these cranes were east of big trout in the marsh going to merchant,,  seeing these cranes is a first for me,, very cool 

8/27/2019 8:14 am  #2

Re: sand hill cranes spotted

Nice sighting!  And out of their typical migration path as well!  For those who don't pay much attention to birds, you might glance over and think oh that's a Great Blue Heron and go on your way, but they are a really cool bird you'll want to identify if you see it (that I've never seen) so here are some tips: 

One, great blue herons are usually solitary, so if you are seeing more than one standing around, pay attention.
Two, they are huge, they can go 5 feet from head to toe when standing, and they have a bit dumpier body than a great blue heron. Great Blue Heron can get to 4.5 feet, but I think you'd notice the height difference.
Three, in flight, cranes fly with their necks sticking out (Like a Canada Goose), herons tuck their necks back.
Four, look for the red spot around the eye/head in the crane, which you'll see in both male and female (but not first year birds).

Congrats, Swede!  Check that one off your life list!

They almost look like a mini-ostrich to me.

Last edited by MooseWhizzer Dave (8/27/2019 8:21 am)

8/27/2019 9:28 am  #3

at the time i was paddling by, there was also 4 blue herons,,  very nervous birds , fun to watch, very sleek,stealth,,
     the sand hill cranes were taller and had a larger body,, would of been cool to watch them take flight, however these birds paid me no attention,,  brilliant red line down the forehead to the top of the beak/bill
    when i was a young lad out with my dad , when we saw a large bird flying with it`s neck tucked in (like you mentioned dave) he would call these birds mud hens,, l.o.l.

Last edited by swedish pimple (8/27/2019 9:33 am)

8/27/2019 10:02 am  #4

The Sandhill Cranes seem to be more common in the Algonquin area over the last few years. There was at least one pair that I saw repeatedly along Hwy 17 on the east side of the park during my 'around Algonquin' shuttle drives picking up and dropping off my youngest for work at Kiosk last summer. 

There have been other reports over the last several years. 

8/27/2019 8:52 pm  #5

8/28/2019 7:52 am  #6

So cool! Thanks for sharing!

I'm just gone Fishin!

8/28/2019 8:28 am  #7

I've never seen them before ... now I'll know what they are if I do. 

8/28/2019 10:09 am  #8

Ribeye of the sky I've heard them called. I know we can't hunt them in Ontario, but I'd love to see the population grow to a point where this can happen. 

8/28/2019 1:11 pm  #9

Catto9 wrote:

Ribeye of the sky I've heard them called. I know we can't hunt them in Ontario, but I'd love to see the population grow to a point where this can happen. 

Probably never happen as they are too easily confused with Whoopers

9/02/2019 9:57 am  #10

sandhill-crane  call?  kinda spooky ,,,

Last edited by swedish pimple (9/02/2019 9:58 am)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.