You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/22/2019 10:46 am  #1

Phone coverage

OK so let me preface this by saying that I normally go on trips to disconnect ....  but this time its unavoidable.

I would like to get into the backcountry but need to be able to check my phone from time to time.  So how is the phone coverage once you get a few portages in for areas like Hwy 60 corridor and the East  side?  The west side is a bit too far for me.  Anyone who has recent experience with cell service in the interior please let me know how it went and where you traveled.  

Many thanks ! 

7/22/2019 11:48 am  #2

Re: Phone coverage

The only place in the Achray area I've seen cell service is from the top of the Barron Canyon trail (or the south rim if you hike over from Cork Lake).  There is no coverage via the Shall Lake access, other than right at the permit office where they presumably have a cell booster.  So I think you will be pretty much limited to lakes along the highway 60 corridor.

7/22/2019 1:52 pm  #3

I would echo what Yellow had to say but also don't count on cell at Achray station it is very hit or miss.  They do have a booster there but I've only had success with it once in 4 years.  Sand Lake gate booster does help but that is a fair drive out.  

Sunday Lake (island site but I'd suspect the whole lake) has reliable cell.  Given that Sunday has it I'd also suspect you'd get on Norway but can't confirm - you'd be getting the tower at the Welcome Centre.  No cell at Rock Lake when I was last there a few years ago.  

7/22/2019 6:31 pm  #4

Rock lake in the immediate vicinity of the office only.

7/22/2019 7:44 pm  #5

scratchypants wrote:

Rose Island has service, same with most sites on Pen Lake.
Head, Harness, Pardee etc all have service these days.

7/23/2019 7:52 am  #6

No sure how much communication you need but you might want to look into renting a spot gps messenger from Algonquin Outfitters.  I think they run about $50/week.

7/23/2019 9:06 am  #7

Thanks everyone ... The Head and Harness lake area could provide some solitude ...  and potentially a trout dinner ...

7/23/2019 3:24 pm  #8

I was using my phone to take pics on my May trip this year.  Wouldn't you know it, I get to the top of Heart  attack hill and my phone vibrates. I had received an email.  Sure enough, I had one bar right at the top of that climb.  Sent my wife a text but by the time she responded I had already started down the other side. 

That being said, I don't recommend making the trek up that mountain if you are just looking for cell service...   

7/24/2019 5:43 am  #9

ATVenture wrote:

scratchypants wrote:

Rose Island has service, same with most sites on Pen Lake.
Head, Harness, Pardee etc all have service these days.

Good to know. It was more of a "I know there is cell service here" comment. The FOA website had incorrectly listed the hours of operation for AP9 as 8am - 9pm, Sat to Thurs when in fact, on Mondays they open at 9. I sat in the office parking lot and checked email, etc. I decided to move to the dock and unload and promptly lost service, so figured that was it and turned my phone off. I suppose as you get down the lake, closer to Whitney, that it would make sense that coverage improves.

8/27/2019 5:33 pm  #10

Pulled out my cell to take some pictures on Sylvia and was surprised to have 3 bars of LTE.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.