You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2019 7:31 am  #1

Has vanishing pond vanished?

Thinking of a late season trip in to Sunbeam. Has anyone been through Blue Jay and Vanishing pond recently? Wondering about water levels and which route would be best late September.Thanks.

8/27/2019 10:13 am  #2

Re: Has vanishing pond vanished?

Not a current report but we did this route 2 years ago at Thanksgiving and it was navigable. 

There were a few beaver dams we had to lift over and it wasn't a speedy journey but it's a cool section. 

We've had some pretty good rains this year so I can't imagine it's impassable. Hopefully someone has some more current info for you. 

8/27/2019 11:32 am  #3

CanoeClaire wrote:

Not a current report but we did this route 2 years ago at Thanksgiving and it was navigable. 

There were a few beaver dams we had to lift over and it wasn't a speedy journey but it's a cool section. 

We've had some pretty good rains this year so I can't imagine it's impassable. Hopefully someone has some more current info for you. 

Also not current but when I did it mid September 2017 I don’t think there were any lift overs even. Water levels were so ‘normal’ I couldn’t imagine how it actually dries up and becomes impassable.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/27/2019 2:21 pm  #4

If you call the park they would probably know an answer.

8/28/2019 7:28 am  #5

according to their alert page, Vanishing pond has lived up to it's mane once again!
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/news/algonquin_park_advisories.php

9/03/2019 11:57 am  #6

We bumped into a team at the Little Doe/Burnt Portage who had traveled the route of vanishing pond. They said that they were wading through mud and low water. It was quite the slog and not recommended. This was on August 28th, 2019. I also saw that the park has posted a warning for low water levels on Potters creek and a few other locations in the park. You will want to check with them first before venturing out on this route. Good Luck!

9/03/2019 12:53 pm  #7

Thanks everyone. Will look into closer to out trip but for now we will opt for an alternate route. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.