You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2019 12:51 pm  #1

Base camping ideas

I'm taking some coworkers into the Park in September for a two night base camping trip. Two years ago we went in through Cedar and stayed on Radiant, last year we went in through Achray and stayed on Stratton. We could always do Stratton again, but my preference would be to change it up just because I've stayed on Stratton four times in the last three years.

If we do try something else, it needs to be easily accessible (these guys are all in good shape, but the overwhelming preference is for a relaxed experience), be big enough for six guys to find spots to pitch tents (because no one seems to want to share a tent), hopefully have decent fishing as well as have stuff do do/see nearby (so, something that would be a worthwhile day trip to check out). Oh, and it can't be more than three hours from Ottawa, so the west side and most of the north is out.

I've been thinking about Opeongo, but I've never actually camped there. If we did go that route, any recommendations for which part would offer the best campsite options?

I'm also wondering about the Kingscote area. I've never been through there, but it looks like there are a few things to check out. Any recommendations for a good lake to target for two nights in that part?

Any other areas that might meet the above criteria?

Thanks

Drew

7/05/2019 1:42 pm  #2

Re: Base camping ideas

Booth? Sounds like it meets all of your qualifications

7/05/2019 2:50 pm  #3

Drew - love your website! 

2nd vote here for Booth, or possibly the Kitty Lake or Tattler Lake cabins? 
Are you and the fellas okay with sleeping in the same cabin?

7/05/2019 5:58 pm  #4

Sproule/Sunday? Clydegale?

7/06/2019 8:49 am  #5

Booth, supposed to have great pike fishing. Looks like a beautiful lake too, although I haven’t been yet

7/06/2019 9:28 am  #6

I have a detailed trip report that covers most of the Kingscote area, from fall 2017. Campsite pics and info for almost everything on Byers and Scorch. The site we had on Byers would definitely be able to accommodate a bunch of tents, and is great for a group (particularly the beach front and how open/spacious the site is).

Here's the report, campsite reports are all linked at the bottom: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/thanksgiving-weekend-at-byers-lake/

Clydegale would also be a good option as mentioned above - if you look through my post history you'll see I recommend it a lot for various reasons; great sites, waterfalls on route, hiking options, good wildlife, good privacy, easily accessible, etc. 

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

8/23/2019 12:23 pm  #7

I just realized I never responded to this thread and thanked everyone for the input. I'm going with Booth, that's a great suggestion. As an added bonus, I've never been there so it's new ground for me too.

8/26/2019 9:15 am  #8

Just to muddy the waters...Booth is a great suggestion with ample site options that should suffice.  A second option would be a water taxi through Opeongo to get to Big Crow.  Plenty to see and do with the river, fire tower, white pines and the lake while being easy to get to.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.