You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2019 7:55 pm  #1

Provoking Lake

On the reservation system map, there are supposedly 3 canoe campsites available for Provoking Lake. I saw a couple of canoes on Provoking Lake a few years ago, which tells me the portage that 's shown on the maps is still functional. However, all the maps I can refer to show all the campsites being for users of the Highland Backpacking Trail. While I do have a faint distant recollection of there once being some canoe campsites on an old map, I'm thinking that may nolonger be so. I'm wondering if the reservation system would give a reservation for a canoe campsite on Provoking, only to have no such campsites signed as such! Anyone got info on Provoking Lake?

8/15/2019 3:31 am  #2

Re: Provoking Lake

I can confirm the portage is useable. It is bad in the rain but otherwise an easy trail.

8/15/2019 8:14 am  #3

I believe there is a site on the most southern island. I know I saw a fire pit in the clearing anyway. I stayed at the lake a few years ago when they keep cancelling the spring interior. But that year cancelling all canoe permits but the backpacking trails were good to go. Never have since. All the lakes south of 60 were ice free. So canoeing it was. Yes the trail is good to go. Trail is well marked. Like Jdbonney said, it can get messy. Even more in the spring. It actually follows a creek the whole way down. Should be pretty dry now thou. There is a canoe rest half way up FYI lol.  

I'm just gone Fishin!

8/15/2019 10:33 am  #4

Jeff's Map says that while none of them are MARKED as canoeing sites, up to three are reservable for canoeists.

8/15/2019 1:21 pm  #5

Thanks John. That's what I get for zooming-in on Provoking Lake without checking the surrounding area for notations! Here's the full area around Provoking Lake. I've encircled the referenced notation in red ...

8/16/2019 5:24 am  #6

My understanding is the sites will not be signed from the water but they should be easy enough to find from in a canoe.

8/17/2019 8:51 am  #7

If you get a hard rain the trail is awful. Water was literally running down like a creek. In spring it probably is a creek

8/17/2019 11:06 pm  #8

ATVenture wrote:

My understanding is the sites will not be signed from the water but they should be easy enough to find from in a canoe.

I think the reason they are not signed is because I don't think the Park designates any specific sites for paddlers. They simply will only allow 3 reservations. Of course, not every site will have an appropriate landing.

Dave

8/20/2019 9:31 am  #9

Got email response from the park ...

Hello:

I was speaking with a park information staff member to confirm that you would enter at the Lake of Two Rivers campground and complete the 960m portage to the canoe sites on Provoking Lake. When you reserve you can choose Canoe Lake access point #5 as your access point and where you would register and obtain your camping and vehicle permits. When you stop at the Lake of Two Rivers office, let them know what you are doing and they will let you know where to park.

When you enter this way, the only sites that you will see are the canoe camping sites.

Thank you,
Luanne

Luanne Florent  |  Gate Attendant

8/20/2019 9:18 pm  #10

We canoed into Provoking two years ago in October.  We parked at the East Beach of LOTR as the Park couldn't confirm that the gate at Two Rivers campground wouldn't be locked up for the season while we were in the interior!
The 900m portage, uphill on the way in, is very defined, but as previously noted, slippery when wet!
The campsites we aimed for were on the north shore of the lake, just west of the portage.  As you exit the small bay and enter the main body of the lake, turn right.  There are some large, hemlock forested sites available along the shore.
Theses sites worked well for the shoulder season camping, but I wouldn't recommend them in the summer months.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.