You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2019 8:18 am  #1

Petewawa from White Trout to Misty

Hello all...
I need a little route advice. Is it possible to take the Petewawa River upstream, heading from White Trout into Misty? I know that it flows the opposite way, so will I be battling a current or is the river pretty mild in this area or this time of year? Would I be better off getting to Misty via McIntosh/Timberwolf than taking the Pet?
I appreciate any tips I can get on this area.

7/25/2019 11:42 am  #2

Re: Petewawa from White Trout to Misty

I went up Misty about 6 years ago from White Trout and had no problems.  Mid September I think?  I'm actually planning on heading through there in a month or so.

At this time of year the river shouldn't be flowing too heavy, but water levels are probably higher than normal from all this rain.  I don't recall Misty river to have a strong current either. 

Grassy Bay is kind of annoying but great for wild life.  Mcintosh - Timberwolf - Misty would probably be your fastest route, but much less scenic. 

7/26/2019 9:53 am  #3

Hey Gochay, either route is fine. You should not have issues heading upstream on the Pet. Where were you planning on camping? There is a really nice site on an elevated rock in Grassy Bay that looks across at the portage heading to Misty... really nice spot with a great view of the Bay.

Also, I have twice now gone from Timberwolf to Misty, and both times I took the creek and smaller 130m portage instead of the 765m. The creek is nice and straight and made for a nice paddle.

Have a good Trip!

7/26/2019 11:16 am  #4

Went the opposite way 5 years ago or so in May.  I would say it's as passable as any river going up stream. 

My favorite site on Grassy Bay is the one directly south of the petawawa portages.  Might just be nostalgia, but one of the best nights sleep I've had was there.

Ian

7/26/2019 12:15 pm  #5

Nice tip on that Grassy Bay site, we have a night booked there in Sept. 

There is also a great site on White Trout on the smaller Island to the South East.  Elevated cliff facing West that you can jump off into the lake, nice tent bays, great seating around the fire pit and well sheltered.  

7/26/2019 11:19 pm  #6

Thank you guys so much for your insights and tips. And I especially appreciate campsite recommendations, I know how much we like to keep our favourite sites secret for fear of spotting a dreaded tent while paddling up. I usually stay on that great site on  the west side of Big Trout as it narrows heading into white trout. Probably much like all of you, I circle the good sites and cross the bad ones off on my map, so I'll check the one you guys mentioned. Hopefully I can add a few circles!
I have very little moving water experience, let alone in the wrong direction, so thanks for the reassurance. I was thinking/hoping it was like most creeks in the park. Except for Birchcliff Evan, you ruined that one for me, I won't be doing that one! Lol. Thanks again guys

8/18/2019 11:03 am  #7

To finish this thread off for anyone looking it up in the future... The Petewawa, in that section is basically a glorified creek. No current, lots of rocks. The section between the 160 and 190m portage is weed choked requiring more pushing in the muck than paddling. Nice way to add an extra night to the Big Trout loop though.
Happy paddling.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.