You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/07/2019 12:24 pm  #1

My interior canoe/fishing trips are now officially over!

Due to health reasons, my 50 plus years of trip planning and interior canoe/fishing trips in the GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD has come to an end.  I am not looking for sympathy as I have had extremely wonderful times exploring the vast interior of Algonquin and enjoying its beauty.  Although I am obviously somewhat sad and disappointed, I know my family here on this forum will continue to post WiA photos, post trip logs of their trips which I know will bring back fond memories for me in the months and years ahead.  I look forward to reading anything to do with Algonquin on this forum.  I hope everyone on this forum enjoys what Algonquin and Mother Nature has given me over all these years. This site produced by Barry back in 1999 (I believe) of which I was 1 of 3 members if my memory serves me correct???, has been a God send for me over all of these years.  Words cannot express how much I appreciate Barry creating and still continuing on with Algonquin Adventures. I can still camp in Algonquin campgrounds if the lure of Algonquin, the cry of the loon, etc. gets too extreme.  I must admit I do not like campgrounds, but you have to do what you have to do to continue on with your passion of this magnificent Park.  Safe tripping, and always camp in bug free zones.   I now leave Algonquin Park in your capable hands to treat it with respect and revel in all that it has in store for you.  And I know you will!  Take care!

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

8/07/2019 12:39 pm  #2

Re: My interior canoe/fishing trips are now officially over!

Sad post but thanks for sharing. Reading this just reinforces the fact that I should never take any trip for granted as one day I know I will have to give up back country camping as well (ugh). Hopefully still have a few years left but things are starting to break down. Take care

8/07/2019 1:19 pm  #3

Bo I know how much your travels through Algonquin have meant to you and I am geunually sorry to read this.
Take care of yourself. Health always comes first.

8/07/2019 1:42 pm  #4

Speaking for myself you have given us a pile of good advice over the years ...
There's a few interior access points with a campsite within a short walk ... maybe you can still get to those a few times a year? 

8/07/2019 2:38 pm  #5

Thank you for posting this Bo, although I'm sorry to be reading it. Glad you have so many good memories to look back on. RCSpartan is right, this is a good reminder to savour every trip. All the best.
Drew

8/07/2019 6:41 pm  #6

Hey Bo! As the saying goes, "Youth is wasted on the young."

When there's nearly as many major joints with arthritis as not, the years do seem to be ganging-up!

I'll always treasure the memory from 2007 of you at the campfire on Booth Lake singing-up a storm!

8/09/2019 9:15 am  #7

Hey Bo.... You may not like campgrounds, but as you say, you gotta do what you gotta do. As long as you are still on the right side of the grass, I am sure you will find a way to get that paddle wet, even for a little while.  There are still many trout calling your name...

SeanOfAjax
Paddling Adventures Radio
www.paddlingadventuresradio.com
"Grab a paddle and get on the water"

8/09/2019 11:20 am  #8

It was a pleasure to have connected with you a few years ago on Farm Lk  Bo - yeah I understand the challenges of the body as we get older - hopefully you will still be able to get to Crotch/Farm with minimal paddling and zero portaging - PS still remember hearing you playing your guitar  that evening between camp sites

8/09/2019 12:51 pm  #9

Sad to hear but I guess it's the future for all of us. Thanks for reminding me that all things must end. I'm now 57 with two heart attacks behind me but it has inspired me to get myself back into shape so I can enjoy this fantastic park for as long as possible. Take good care!!

8/11/2019 9:38 am  #10

The only sympathy I offer is that our paths never crossed in the park. So glad you took the time to not just enjoy the park but to also share your wisdom and guidance.  Your input and experience has inspired me and others on many occasions...and you should get twice the satisfaction from that!!

Thank you!!

8/17/2019 8:28 pm  #11

Bo, your enthusiasm and love of APP is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

8/17/2019 8:42 pm  #12

Bo - how ironic your post is with the t-shirt I just posted in the catch-all topics.  I created a t-shirt with a guy canoeing and underneath it is says "Until I can't".  I dread that day, but I'm 54, and realize I have more years behind me than ahead of me relative to canoe-camping.  I'm very sorry that you've reached that point, Bo.  Your passion for the park, for the beauty of your native land, for the joyful solitude of a campsite on a shoreline - it comes through in all you share, and I'm glad to know you'll continue to share what Bo Knows - because that guy knows PLENTY!    

8/18/2019 6:10 am  #13

Don't give up just yet Ken! you and I have several of the same issues facing you, But as the Beatles said
"Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends
Mm, get high with a little help from my friends
Oh, I'm gonna try with a little help from my friends"
While my solo or even tandem days are done and so are the longer trips, I can still get out once or twice a year for one or two nights, as long as I've got a sherpa or 4 to help with my canoe and gear.
the biggest issue is that I'm limited to 2 hr stints of paddling, which means I now paddle in a day, what I used to paddle before lunch- BUT I'm still getting out!
Maybe what we need  is a group of youngsters willing to trade muscle for experience!

8/18/2019 12:24 pm  #14

That's heartbreaking Bo!  I too worry about the day I can no longer do the things in the park that I like to do.  My dad (now 73) is just getting to the point where his body is breaking down to the point where we may no longer be able to do interior trips.  He and I share the same view that we will continue to enjoy the park in whatever capacity our bodies will allow.   Perhaps this means car camping, and simply spending more time around the campsite...enjoying the quality time around a fire, sharing a few drinks, playing cards etc...

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.