You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2019 9:15 pm  #1

Sproule to Norway

Anyone got any idea why the online reservation system thinks sproule and Norway are too far apart from each other to book on successive nights, but will let you pick either as a first night coming out of A10?

7/28/2019 9:30 pm  #2

Re: Sproule to Norway

Most likely because you'd be crossing an Unofficial Portage (according to Jeffs Map), so the 'proper' route, which is what would be in their system, would be a huge loop around to get from Point A to B. I would just give them a call tomorrow and see if they'll let you book it over the phone.

If they can't even do it over the phone, you can try making two separate reservations. It would cost an extra couple dollars for the second reservation but could be a workaround.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/28/2019 9:53 pm  #3

Oops, it looks like I made a mistake and didn't mark that as an unofficial low water portage.

The route itself is official, it's just otherwise impassible when water levels are low.

To that end, I'm not sure why the reservation system is doing that...

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

7/29/2019 6:30 am  #4

Yeah, it’s weird. The system will let you book both going from the access point, which suggests it recognizes the entire thing as an official route. Maybe the access point just disappears into a black hole the instant you leave it?

7/29/2019 6:38 pm  #5

The booking engine considers Big Trout to be too far from Burntroot - these two lakes are 3.5 hours apart. The system is weird, whatever the system is, regardless of portages. One can overcome it by calling a live person on the phone.

7/30/2019 6:55 am  #6

I think the system just pops up the “too far” warning but if you click ok and keep going it will let you book it. I can’t 100% remember but I haven’t had to call to make a reservation anytime over the last few years.

7/30/2019 7:29 am  #7

solos wrote:

I think the system just pops up the “too far” warning but if you click ok and keep going it will let you book it. I can’t 100% remember but I haven’t had to call to make a reservation anytime over the last few years.

There are two different warnings, one that lets you know it's far, but still lets you book, basically just double-checking you know what you're doing, and a second that says its too far and won't let you book.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/30/2019 11:20 pm  #8

Good to know. I wonder what criteria their programmers used to make these determinations? It certainly was not Jeff’s Map v5.

8/21/2019 10:04 am  #9

I really hope that they abolish the "too far" thing all together, save for perhaps just a warning in case one is unaware. I cant tell you how many times I have been forced to book permits for the lake i am not heading to because they literally wont give us the correct ones.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.