You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2019 10:46 am  #1

Blueberries

Hi all,

I'm heading into the backcountry this week, and was hoping to locate some blueberries in the park! I'm hiking into Faya Lake, does anybody know if there are any bushes along the way? Is there an easy way to spot them? Thanks!

6/24/2019 1:01 pm  #2

Re: Blueberries

i think the blue berry crop has been stunted by da weather to this point,,  straw berries are well behind in central ont.   for blue berries try the mew lake old air field,  not far , but i guess you will be going in at  l.o.t.r. east beach access,, i hope this helps

6/24/2019 1:42 pm  #3

swedish pimple wrote:

i think the blue berry crop has been stunted by da weather to this point,,  straw berries are well behind in central ont.   for blue berries try the mew lake old air field,  not far , but i guess you will be going in at  l.o.t.r. east beach access,, i hope this helps

Silly question, but how exactly do I get to the old air field? Is it withing walking distance for a day trip from Faya? 

6/26/2019 8:04 am  #4

Presumably you are back packing. The backpacking trail crosses the track and tower day use trail. Follow the track and tower trail towards the mew lake campground and you will walk into the old airfield. It is usually full of blueberries but I doubt highly any will be out yet. A few weeks to go.

7/19/2019 8:06 am  #5

Heading to the park first week in August.  Will I be too late for the blueberries??  

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

7/23/2019 7:00 am  #6

M

BB wrote:

Heading to the park first week in August.  Will I be too late for the blueberries??  

I didn’t see any which were ripe last week, so I doubt you’ll be too late.

7/23/2019 7:54 am  #7

Thanks, that's good to hear. 

"Remember you belong to Nature, not it to you." - Grey Owl

7/23/2019 7:54 am  #8

Finally picked a couple of ripe ones in the backyard at home yesterday. Algonquin is probably a couple of weeks behind that. 

8/21/2019 10:11 am  #9

Blueberries just recently came out around here, seem to be having an average year too. As for mew lake airfield, I would avoid that area for blueberry picking. Due to social media and how busy Mew lake campground is, it has become a battle between those who think all the berries need to be left to bears, vs people who understand a little recreational picking wont hurt anything. I've heard recently by Park staff friends that they get calls of people reporting eachother picking blueberries and what have you. 

Otherwise, Low-sweet blueberry shrubs can be found on nearly any rocky exposed area in algonquin park, with the other spieces, Leatherleaf Blueberry occurring around the periphery of lake and wetland. Faya lake most likely has its own bluebery stash.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.