You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2019 9:45 pm  #1

May 2019: Kiosk to Birchcliffe Cabin - 4 Day Loop DAY 4 (Final Day)

Good evening all,
I would like to thank Ryan and Rich for partaking on the May 2019 trip to one of the best parks in Ontario. This was a tough trip, and proved to be a good warm up for our 8 day trip coming up in a few weeks. This last day was quite a bit easier than Day 3, but we did need to cover a significant number of KM's to get out on time. 

Thankfully the wind was at our back on the big lakes, as this day ended up being quite windy and those lakes really kicked up.  A few tense moments on the crossings, but we all made it out safe and sound and pretty exhausted.

See you in the Park!

Day #4: http://youtu.be/AlKIYc0OuEE

7/18/2019 2:24 pm  #2

Re: May 2019: Kiosk to Birchcliffe Cabin - 4 Day Loop DAY 4 (Final Day)

Thank you for sharing your videos.  I've enjoyed watching them all.  I don't think I fully appreciated the effort it takes to get through all those alders until I saw your latest series.  I did have one question if you don't mind, what type of camera are you using for filming?  The video and sound was really good.
Thanks again!

7/18/2019 2:29 pm  #3

captainchaos2000 wrote:

Thank you for sharing your videos.  I've enjoyed watching them all.  I don't think I fully appreciated the effort it takes to get through all those alders until I saw your latest series.  I did have one question if you don't mind, what type of camera are you using for filming?  The video and sound was really good.
Thanks again!

Thanks for watching! we use multiple cameras, most of the footage is on GoPro Hero 5, with some JVC hand cam footage and some DSLR footage and photos.

7/19/2019 8:40 am  #4

I'd recommend a change to the load for future trips with the solo prospector to adjust the trim under those windy/wavy conditions.  That was quite stern-heavy even with the backpack placed near the front.  Two issues, ultimately:  1.) control-wise, it will weathervane terribly and be difficult to turn into the wind if needed and, 2.) safety-wise, it could swamp from the rear with trailing rollers - the freeboard near the paddler was less than optimal.

It would be better suited to paddle from the front seat with the canoe traveling backwards or kneeling closer to the center with a balanced load in either case.

7/19/2019 8:44 am  #5

I completely agree, and I was sitting in the front seat facing the stern for two days on this trip... what we didn’t include in the video is that the bow seat on my boat broke on day three on the creek! We resorted to sitting in the stern and trying to load as many bags as possible in the bow. Good eye!

7/19/2019 10:40 am  #6

That makes sense!  I didn't want to come across as condescending or anything...but most of us who have spent time in canoes see the pitfalls before the naive folks do...glad to know you had a reason!

I remember the first time I took my family to Algonquin for a summer trip out of canoe lake:  watched a group load up and take off with two people in one canoe facing the wrong way...that 'bow' paddler in the stern had virtually zero leg room but didn't think twice about why.

7/19/2019 11:49 am  #7

And also, I have the knees of an old man so any extended kneeling is out of the question. If the weight distribution is really bad I use a dry bag full of water attached to the front handle to bring the front down , seems to work well.

7/20/2019 8:29 am  #8

Great conclusion to a great trip - thoroughly enjoyed watching. If you keep making vids - I'll keep watching! Thanks for putting this together!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.