You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2019 8:24 pm  #1

Cranebill lake campsite

Hey all.  Does anyone have any info or pics of the cranebill lake campsite? Or the portage from mic to cranebill?

7/16/2019 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Cranebill lake campsite

Been there twice. Once through Moc and once through from Lily Pond. Moc to Cranebill portage was a relatively easy , un remarkable portage. I seem to remember the Moc landing somewhat tricky and littered with sketchy floating logs and debris hindering the loading and unloading.  Doable though. Been a few years now since there. The site itslef was decent. Nice rocky outcrop to sit on and swim from. Quiet as only site on lake. The other two ports in and out are long and black. Likely wont have any traffic passing through. Site was smallish without allot of room for tents. Always thought of it as more of a hammocking site. Maybe OK for one small/med size tent. Worth the trip in if a small group just to have the lake to yourself. Had a nice fire pit last time we were there.

7/17/2019 6:14 am  #3

Shayne74 wrote:

Been there twice. Once through Moc and once through from Lily Pond. Moc to Cranebill portage was a relatively easy , un remarkable portage. I seem to remember the Moc landing somewhat tricky and littered with sketchy floating logs and debris hindering the loading and unloading.  Doable though. Been a few years now since there. The site itslef was decent. Nice rocky outcrop to sit on and swim from. Quiet as only site on lake. The other two ports in and out are long and black. Likely wont have any traffic passing through. Site was smallish without allot of room for tents. Always thought of it as more of a hammocking site. Maybe OK for one small/med size tent. Worth the trip in if a small group just to have the lake to yourself. Had a nice fire pit last time we were there.

Thank you for the info shayne74!   Glad to hear that it is a nice site with a nice rock outcrop (the rock is one of quintessential campsite requirements).  My only concern now is tent space.   We are a group of 4 with two 3 man tents and a 2 man tent.  I hope we can make it work. 

Thank you again for the information

7/17/2019 9:02 am  #4

Might be tight . Uneven ground. If you venture from the campsite proper you may get lucky. Enjoy your trip. Nice remote feeling without too much work. You're accessing from Rain?Nice trip in. 

Last edited by Shayne74 (7/17/2019 2:16 pm)

7/18/2019 6:04 am  #5

Yes accessing through rain.  All these years and I have never traveled the lakes between rain and misty. Lots of exploring and day tripping for us to do on this trip.

7/18/2019 6:46 am  #6

My brother and I did a trip down to see Cranebill a few years ago for what I remember the site is relatively flat, up a little rise - open area with a few tent sites but again if memory serves me it wasn’t super spacious - the large rocks are perfect for stargazing and swimming from (I took a swim off of them to cool off and it has a nice drop off) I might have some pictures - give me some time to see if I can find them - if I get lucky I’ll post them for ya

7/18/2019 6:51 am  #7

Andy W wrote:

My brother and I did a trip down to see Cranebill a few years ago for what I remember the site is relatively flat, up a little rise - open area with a few tent sites but again if memory serves me it wasn’t super spacious - the large rocks are perfect for stargazing and swimming from (I took a swim off of them to cool off and it has a nice drop off) I might have some pictures - give me some time to see if I can find them - if I get lucky I’ll post them for ya

Thanks Andy! Photos would be great!   Are these large rocks jutting out fairly far from the shore line? No canopy above them?

7/18/2019 11:24 am  #8

Foxriderz wrote:

... Photos would be great! Are these large rocks jutting out fairly far from the shore line? No canopy above them?

The pics I have are not that good. The rock outcropping only juts into the water for a short way but I think I remember there not being too much canopy directly overhead. On the other hand, the opposite shore is quite close and when combined with the trees over the site you will find the view is somewhat limited. Some views can be had by standing on the rock and looking towards the larger end of the lake.

Also, I remember having trouble finding a flat spot for our 2 man MEC wanderer. The site has a rolling topography and we didn't have the most comfortable sleep. I can't imagine finding decent spots for the 3 tents you want to bring, unless you hack them out of the bush. However, as you can see below, it is quite comfortable to lie on the rock with your Thermarest.

7/18/2019 3:29 pm  #9

I've stayed on that site and I really like it.  A cosy campsite on a secluded lake.  BUT, there's only room (and level ground) for one tent without getting very creative.

7/18/2019 5:19 pm  #10

I looked long and hard and unfortunately couldn't find any photos. Sorry I couldn't help you out in that department . Solos post gives good perspective on the Canadian shield below the camp site. Looking at the photo, I "think" the swimming hole was to the right of the pup.  I would back up Stainless's perspective of the site. I "think" you could squeeze two tents in the area and there would be some room for a hammock as well. but it would be somewhat tight. Also if memory serves me, the fire pit needed rebuilt as well. Never made it back to the thunderbox. Haven't a clue it's condition

Sorry I couldn't have been more help. Regardless, FWIW, I would stay a few nights on that site fer sure ! Have a great trip !  <edit> PS that bass fishing was good! 

Last edited by Andy W (7/18/2019 5:50 pm)

7/21/2019 10:33 am  #11

Thank you all for the information!  Sols, thanks for the picture of the doggo.

I have decided after reading about tent spots and topography info from you guys regarding cranebill, to switch my cranebill night over to wenona. I managed to find some decent pictures of that site on wenona and it looks like it will serve us well.  Not to mention it will provide a better vista out over the lake, and will have sun longer into the day on it. 

Love this forum and the expertise/experience I find here.  Thank you all again!

7/21/2019 1:52 pm  #12

Have a great time Foxriderz! We did a loop, traversing through Wenona a few years ago. Sorry I can't remember much about the camp site but for the lake, it was a really nice little gem. If ya'll are looking for getting away from the crowd's ya picked a good spot. 

7/21/2019 3:15 pm  #13

Thanks Andy W!     We have a night on moc then a night on wenona then another night on moc.  I've been all over the park yet have never touch the string of lakes between rain and misty.  Excited to add a few more lakes to our list .

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.