You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/12/2019 5:36 am  #1

West of Canoe Lake

Looking for insight on the lakes west out of Canoe. Does anyone have advice on the Drummer, Panther , Maggie Lake area? I know its not a real popular area but that's part of the attraction. September trip planning. Thank you.

Last edited by Shayne74 (6/12/2019 8:38 am)

6/12/2019 7:02 am  #2

Re: West of Canoe Lake

I really like that area. The lakes are small and the portages can be a challenge, but it’s quiet and about as secluded as you’re going to get that close to canoe lake. I wrote about it a couple of years ago here if you’re interested:

https://allofalgonquin.com/2016/07/19/ahmek-district/

6/12/2019 7:50 am  #3

donald lloyd`s book has a chapter about these lakes northwest of canoe lake access. 

6/12/2019 3:10 pm  #4

swedish pimple wrote:

donald lloyd`s book has a chapter about these lakes northwest of canoe lake access. 

Do you have the title of that book? Sounds interesting

6/12/2019 4:50 pm  #5

i believe the name is "algonquin  flora & fauna" ? i just moved and i cannot find my copy.
   i got my book at the  algonquin visitors centre tuck shop,, i hope this helps,,

6/12/2019 5:14 pm  #6

Donald L. Lloyd (2000); Canoeing Algonquin Park, Published by D.L. Lloyd. Distributed by Hushion House Publishing Ltd. Toronto.
previously available, and maybe still is, from the FOA bookstore.

6/13/2019 10:27 am  #7

Shayne, I took a solo trip a couple years back from Rain Lake, and on my last couple of days I headed west from Canoe Lake to McCraney and back to Rain Lake.  These little lakes are really nice, but as mentioned above the portages can be a bit of a slog as they are not maintained. I remember Drummer and Little Drummer being really nice, and West Harry was beautiful. The site on Tonakela was not the greatest, and it resulted in one of my "spookier" solo sleeps.

The video leaving Canoe Lake is: https://youtu.be/JoFeqBFpsCc
Tonakela to McCraney: https://youtu.be/tNurHKeLrmE

good luck trip planning!

6/13/2019 12:55 pm  #8

Thanks everyone. Have Drummer booked for 3 nights in September. Looking forward to seeing the area through a series of day trips. Hopefully it lives up to it's reputation. Quiet seclusion. 

6/14/2019 9:58 am  #9

Evan Briden wrote:

... and West Harry was beautiful...

From looking at Jeff’s Map I’ve always thought that West Harry would be a nice destination but there is only a single site at the end of the lake, on a portage, and I’ve read that it sucks. I don’t know why another site doesn’t exist on the lake, especially since there are numerous former cabins.

6/14/2019 11:47 am  #10

Solos,
yeah for such a decent size lake in the area the single campsite is a bummer. It is right by the dam, at the end of the portage, but I would hazard to guess it does not see a lot of traffic. Not a great site and my most vivid memory being  hammered with mosquitoes as I ate lunch before a long portage I was dreading. However, you would have the lake completely to yourself by default, which can be hard to find!

7/17/2019 5:34 pm  #11

I do love it out there. We used to call it "Ahmek district" when I lived on Canoe lake, because other than us, the only folks you'd see out there were boys and girls from Ahmek / Wapomeo kids camps. Long portages that dont get used a lot.

I have been to every single one of the lakes out there, most of them many times and have done all the portages. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

There are a few portages which need special attention, like getting in to E.U, or from E.U - Oak - Mossy. Also, West Harry - Mossy - Panther has to be one of the steepest sections in the entire park, despite not having a catchy name like "Devils staircase". Even going downhill is rough on your damn knees as it is steep as a mother. Id call it "Hell's Cliffside Traverse". Going from West Harry - Mcraney sucks, as you can tell it would. The Remona - Dace section is also very steep, with it being uphill from Dace - Remona. Nobody should ever stay on Tonakela, it is a swamp, not a lake, despite what the park says. I wouldnt even want to drink its water filtered.

However, what you will find is solace. With the exception of crossings with the Western Uplands Backpacking trail.

Last edited by ryanmorin (7/17/2019 5:36 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.