You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/07/2019 6:23 pm  #1

Wendigo Road

Good day all, hope everyone had a great weekend in Algonquin.

Quick question, it has been many years since I have been into the park via Wendigo Lake.   The last time I was down that road it wasn't too bad, my 4x2 truck had no issues but that was at least 10 years ago.   I see some comments from last year about the poor quality of the road, has anyone been up this year, could you still get a normal car down there, say 6" of ground clearance?  Hoping to go up in the next couple of weeks.

And another quick one, I was up to North River Lake last fall and the beaver had done a number on the river going in.   At least 6 dams requiring portages.    Did the high water remove them or were they still there this spring?

Thanks!

Scott

7/08/2019 7:54 am  #2

Re: Wendigo Road

Was there in early June and there was one section of the Wendigo road that was really bad. if you have a 4X4 truck you should be ok but just take it slow. Hopefully they made repairs to it over the last few weeks.

7/08/2019 5:47 pm  #3

Thanks!    Will give it a try and go really slow until I see what it is like :-)   Cheers.

7/08/2019 9:13 pm  #4

Oops, wrong thread.

Last edited by solos (7/08/2019 9:18 pm)

7/14/2019 12:04 pm  #5

For anyone who is following this.   Went up on Friday and the road from Brent down to Wendigo is 4x4 only.   The park has no interest in fixing it as it isn't a park land or access they really care about.  Lots of logging up there so maybe they will fix the road?

Went into North River Lake instead.   The river now has 6 beaver dams on it that require pulling over and 2 other spots I was able to run.   The dams have lowered the water level considerably.  Solo with about 50lbs of gear I touched bottom several times.  Two full size people in a tandum with gear will have a rough time getting in there right now.  Park doesn't seem overly interested in taking care of the dams as well, nature running it's course.   If the beavers continue, North River is going to be much harder to get into.

Brent road is in GREAT condition.   

Cheers.

7/14/2019 6:25 pm  #6

Good day, sorry if I gave the impression that it was the parks problem, no I agree it is crown land so not their concern.  Although given that Wendigo is the best route into Allen, North Depot and Radiant and given how many of the roads users are paying park clients, it would be nice if the park did put something into the road if the township or province isn't.

I love the Brent entrance, so many great spots up there and leads to so many cool places.  Few people and more of what the park is all about IMO  :-)

Cheers,

Scott

7/15/2019 6:50 am  #7

I was able to get an SUV and a toyota camry down that road last year.    It was a little tricky for the camry coming across the beaver dam area then up a sandy hill. 

We were told by Park staff that there is disagreement between the Park and Logging companies on who maintains the road.   It has ended in a stalemate I guess until the logging company gets to log in that area again.

7/15/2019 10:10 am  #8

Mulder wrote:

I was able to get an SUV and a toyota camry down that road last year.    It was a little tricky for the camry coming across the beaver dam area then up a sandy hill. 

We were told by Park staff that there is disagreement between the Park and Logging companies on who maintains the road.   It has ended in a stalemate I guess until the logging company gets to log in that area again.

I had my small car back there a few times last year as well.. was tricky but doable.
This year that same section is completely dry as the beaver dam broke but there is a very large washout. People have placed large logs and rocks in the washout which would still only be passable by a 4x4. I don't even think most AWD Suv's would have enough clearance to get passed.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.