You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/12/2019 12:00 pm  #1

Anyone with a lightweight/solo canoe in GTA willing to do me a favour?

I recently got a new car, and just bought tie down straps, foam blocks etc. and would like to be able to test everything out before actually being in the field... only problem is, I don’t have a canoe.

I’m not sure if I can just go to a store and ask them “hey, mind if I tie down a canoe to my car?” So thought I’d try my luck here and see if anyone would let me give it a shot. I’d drive to you obviously and wouldn’t actually drive the canoe anywhere, I would just want to make sure all the equipment I bought is correct, no straps are too short, the car sunroof doesn’t get in the way, etc.

Lightweight/solo was just a preference to closely resemble what I usually rent, but anyone with a boat willing to help would be much appreciated

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

7/12/2019 1:06 pm  #2

Re: Anyone with a lightweight/solo canoe in GTA willing to do me a favour?

7/12/2019 1:27 pm  #3

I got 4 of those for the trunk/hood, 4 cam buckle straps with hooks (two for each trunk and hood), 2 cam buckle straps without hooks for the mid, and 4 foam blocks.

I’ve tied down several times but it’s always been with gear from the outfitter and with my new car and buying my own gear I’m a bit OCD and prefer to do a test tie down in advance so there are no surprises lol

algonquinbeyond.com

7/12/2019 1:56 pm  #4

I'm in Barrie not sure if that helps you. Welcomed to use my Keewaydin 14 if it does or any of my other canoes. I'm in the backcountry for 12 days starting next Friday so you would need to swing by before that. PM me if that works for you and we can work out a time.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/12/2019 5:14 pm  #5

I’m in Georgetown. Probably too far for you.

7/12/2019 5:49 pm  #6

ShawnD wrote:

I'm in Barrie not sure if that helps you. Welcomed to use my Keewaydin 14 if it does or any of my other canoes. I'm in the backcountry for 12 days starting next Friday so you would need to swing by before that. PM me if that works for you and we can work out a time.

Jdbonney wrote:

I’m in Georgetown. Probably too far for you.

Awesome, thanks to you both... Barrie and Georgetown are about 50min away each but if I can't find anyone closer maybe I'll do the drive. Will send a private message if that's the case. Thanks

algonquinbeyond.com

7/16/2019 12:14 am  #7

I have a solo near QEW and Mississauga rd you can try if you want.  

8/09/2019 5:11 pm  #8

100% approved.  I just drive over 1700 km's using those exact tie-downs hauling my 15ft Kee.  Two straps across the middle of canoe and a V tie-down at the hood (nothing at the stern) and everything was secure the entire trip - 130km/hr at times.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.