You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2019 12:31 pm  #1

Park Lake, Victory Lake and Snow Lake

Hey folks, trying to plan a last minute 2 night getaway for the weekend and saw these lakes on the map.

Can anyone tell me how busy we should expect these lakes to be this coming weekend, or anytime for that matter?

Any good (open space, bugs!) campsites we should aim for?

I think these lakes hold smallmouth bass, any reports on how the fishing is?

Any information at all would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

7/10/2019 1:19 pm  #2

Re: Park Lake, Victory Lake and Snow Lake

I did these lakes 2 years ago as a day trip. There are no campsites on these lakes, ( they are outside the park) if you have an old map they show, but are decommissioned. We searched for them, and the one on snow lake we could find is not at all where the map says it is, and was horribly overgrown and no longer marked. The narrows between park lake and victory as well as to snow lake was clogged with water plants and floating muck. I have no idea about fishing.
We couldn’t get to victory lake at all, the narrow opening was totally grown shut with shrubs and grasses.

7/10/2019 1:24 pm  #3

Apologies tentsterforever, but that's incorrect.

I know for a fact that the sites on Park and Victory are in good condition (I've seen a bunch of photos of the Park L site, and have stayed at the Victory L site myself). The site on Snow (there is only one, not two like my old map shows) is, as you note, in very poor condition.

Since these sites are on crown land (i.e. not in the park), they are unsigned.

When water levels are low it is indeed challenging to get into Snow and Victory from Park L (Victory especially). The time I stayed at the Victory L site it was mid-August and we were justtt able to navigate into the lake.

Last edited by jeffreym (7/10/2019 1:25 pm)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

7/10/2019 1:25 pm  #4

Thanks tentster, this information helps.

I wouldn't expect the crown land sites on Jeffs Map to be maintained, but I thought these would be especially obvious and well used given their proximity to hwy 60.

The only time I haven't been able to locate crown site marked on Jeff's map was up in Temagami, but that was expected. Other than that they have been pretty much bang on.

Sounds like a change of plans may be in order, I am open to suggestions if anyone has any?

7/10/2019 1:39 pm  #5

There’s a pic from the snow lake site that we found on the Algonquinadventures pci map.
The writing was added by webhost Barry.

@jeff. You are correct, there was a site on park lake, small and dark and well within hearing of the highway, if I remember correctly. I didn’t stop long enough to take a pic of it.  Thanks for pointing it out,

7/11/2019 8:56 am  #6

We stayed on Victory lake site in 2016. We accessed from AO Oxtongue dock and paddled up stream to the portage to Park. A nice trip and cheap LOL! Keep your eyes peeled for portage. Site was signed and less than remarkable but decent. There is some road noise from 60 at night but not too bad.The narrows to Victory was choked with plants but passable.  Worth the trip. Did not see anyone else. I cannot speak to the fishing. We looked for the site on Snow but like others have said it looked to be condemmed and not worth exploring. 

Last edited by Shayne74 (7/11/2019 9:29 am)

7/11/2019 10:25 am  #7

Thanks Shayne, I wasn't sure which way to go with this, but I think we will make an attempt for the Victory Lake site tomorrow.

Last edited by Catto9 (7/11/2019 11:58 am)

7/11/2019 3:11 pm  #8

Catto9. Where are you heading in from ? We were able to leave a car at AO. We had been renting some gear from them and staying in a tent cabin there as well. They are usually more than accommodating. Pay attention to where you are on the map  if heading out from there. The portage from the Oxtongue across 60 to Park can be tricky to locate. I don't recall it being signed. At least not from the river proper. There's a creek leading to it off the main river.  The lakes there are pretty quiet from my experience although you will hear 60. Mostly truck traffic. Enjoy your trip. 

7/12/2019 6:03 am  #9

I was thinking the same thing, park the truck at AO and go from there, should be less than a couple hours to Park Lake? We will be hitting the road in a few hours, I hope, have to get a few work things wrapped up first.

Thanks for the tip about the portage, we'll keep our eyes open for it.

7/12/2019 9:01 am  #10

You can park right at Park lake, lots of room, road goes down a little hill off of Hwy 60 where the portage crosses the higway

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.