You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2019 2:04 pm  #1

Booking a backcountry cabin mid-trip

Hi There,

I just attempted to book a cabin for one night during our week long trip, and the request confused a couple of reservation agents that claimed I would have to split my trip booking into three reservations (and three reservation fees), that a cabin cannot be booked for a single night, and wondering out loud why anyone would want to do that...

What is the successful method you have used to book a cabin for a single night mid-trip?  Are there some magic words that need to be used?

Thanks,
Sean.

7/06/2019 4:10 pm  #2

Re: Booking a backcountry cabin mid-trip

Spitballing, but get another party member to create a separate booking for the minimum stay?

7/07/2019 7:16 am  #3

shaggy wrote:

Hi There,
What is the successful method you have used to book a cabin for a single night mid-trip?  Are there some magic words that need to be used?

Thanks,
Sean.

Yeah, call back and get someone competent and who knows their job.

I had the same issue with an OP rep a couple years back, telling me that 'no no, it's IMPOSSIBLE to do so'.. then I said, I've done this several times in the past without issue. Then I gave her all my reservation numbers from the past (they are stored in your OP online account) so she could look them up to demonstrate this is a) possible and b) has been done. Well, after looking them up and realizing she was dead wrong, she didnt like that very much so she lied about her 'system suddenly going down'. Funny, what amazing timing for such an event. Called back right away and made my reservation without issue.

Heck you can even book two different cabins on the same permit. I did an 11 night trip once, nights 3 and 10 were at two different cabins and the rest we were at a backcountry campsites.

It tough dealing with idiots sometimes. Just call back and hope for someone who is competent in their job, or at least someone who is willing to find the answer when they've been proven to be completely wrong.

7/07/2019 7:23 am  #4

Yeah, just did this for the May trip we did. The only real pain for cabins is not being able to reserve online, but the call into OP should be just as quick as booking a trip with all non cabin sites. I called about several cabins for the fall and was told all but two are booked solid from the beginning of sept until the end of the season... could be true but now I am worried I just got a bad agent on the phone?!

7/07/2019 2:13 pm  #5

Peek and Evan's advice proved correct. 
I called back a third time, and everything went nice and easy!

Thanks,
Sean.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.