You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2019 9:48 am  #1

Tom Thomson Prints

So last year I stayed at the Ramada Hotel in St. John's Newfoundland. I didn't notice in the evening, but when I awoke in the morning and opened the curtains, I discovered I was sleeping under a numbered print of The West Wind, above the other bed was another Thomson print, Autumn Foliage. 

It was pretty cool I thought. Also was thinking about forgoing my security deposit. lol kidding. 

Last edited by Bordenman (6/14/2019 9:48 am)

6/14/2019 11:43 am  #2

Re: Tom Thomson Prints

What is "a numbered print of The West Wind"? 

Tom Thomson didn't produce any prints.  (Well maybe sort of in his "day job", but not of his paintings.)  What that was was simply a reproduction, just like any other.

6/14/2019 2:25 pm  #3

Thanks for he info.My terminology may be wrong, but these were numbered. 48 out of 700 for example. Reproductions are not usually numbered from my understanding. Though of course I am not an expert.

6/14/2019 3:15 pm  #4

My apologies.  My comments were uncalled for. 

But the whole bit of numbered reproductions of a long dead artist is a bit of a scam.  Numbered prints produced and individually signed by the artist can be a legitimate piece of  art; often the original is destroyed to ensure that the edition is truly limited.  But if the artist is not directly involved in each copy, it is just a reproduction no matter how high quality it might be or whether it is numbered.

6/14/2019 4:25 pm  #5

rgcmce wrote:

My apologies.  My comments were uncalled for. 

But the whole bit of numbered reproductions of a long dead artist is a bit of a scam.  Numbered prints produced and individually signed by the artist can be a legitimate piece of  art; often the original is destroyed to ensure that the edition is truly limited.  But if the artist is not directly involved in each copy, it is just a reproduction no matter how high quality it might be or whether it is numbered.

I agree with watch out for scams,but this isn't  new hotel. These weren't hung yesterday. No doubt come with some sort of verification. I took closeup photos of the numbered part but cannot find them on my PC now. 

6/14/2019 4:50 pm  #6

Stayed at a Holiday Inn on College in TO. Most if the artwork was by Neil Young. Pretty cool to see .

6/16/2019 12:35 pm  #7

Speaking of Tom Thomson, I lived in South River for just over one year.  South River was the place that Tom could canoe to back then and pick up any supplies he needed.  There is even a Tom Thomson portage  that he took to a lake (Forest?) that he could canoe to South River.  There is also a Tom Thomson Park in South River.  Unknown to many, Tom Thomson spent a lot of time in the western section of Algonquin.

A friend of mine I met there took me to his grandmother's home (she was deceased) but the very old home was still standing and people living there.  My friend took me into this home and to the bedroom where Tom Thomson used to sleep before returning the way he came the next day.  Talk about having goosebumps as Tom Thomson was and still is my famous person when it comes to Algonquin Park.  Here is part of a little story about Tom I read in Explorers Edge.......

Tom Thomson’s name is synonymous with Algonquin Park, and his days on Canoe Lake as well as the mystery surrounding his death one hundred years ago in the park have become the stuff of Canadian legend. Few people realize, however, that Thomson spent much of his time regularly accessing the wilderness he loved in the western part of the park through the village of South River

Thomson spent many days in the village of 
South River. For income he often worked as a guide, travelling through the north-western reaches of the fledgling park. South River was the only link to civilization he could reach by paddle, and he visited to replenish food and art supplies before heading back into Algonquin to sketch and paint.

Brenda Scott takes visitors to the Algonquin Guest House on paddling expeditions that follow Thomson’s original route. Starting at 
Tom Thomson Park in South River paddlers follow the South River to Forest Lake. Along the way, Scott recounts the history and stories of Thomson’s life in the area and his influence on the famous Group of Seven artists. (Scott is also knowledgeable about edible local plants and foraging for food in the wild, which she teaches along the way.) After paddling participants spend time in Brenda’s studio, translating what they have seen into original works of art they can take home to cherish.

Last edited by boknows (6/16/2019 1:00 pm)

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

6/16/2019 6:53 pm  #8

Cool Bo! Thanks for the story. I love o hear about Thomson.

6/17/2019 2:24 pm  #9

I'm waiting for a few Tom Thompson ghost stories to be added in this thread ... I like those better than his paintings ! 

9/23/2020 5:57 am  #10

So I stayed in another room at the same hotel on Monday. This room had a Lawren Harris and a JEH MacDonald above the beds. I asked the front desk clerk in the morning about the paintings when I was checking out. He didn't have clue what I was talking about. lol

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.