You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2019 7:16 am  #1

Kiosk - Nipissing: May 17-25 - Day 1

Hello all. With much trepidation I'm venturing into the YouTube world. Long way to go to reach the kind of videos you're used to seeing from others on this forum, but after about 3 years of partially filming several trips, I'm finally ready/willing to share something. Here's day 1 of my 9-day spring trip. Plenty of flaws but gotta start somewhere lol. 

Shameless self-promo: if you want to see a good Algonquin video, check out Kayak Camper, Solo Lesta, MySelfReliance (or any of a dozen or more others out there; not to mention the Mark in the Park series which is on a whole other level). But if you want jerky handheld footage and aimless, plodding vlogs that trail off to nowhere, look no further! 
https://youtu.be/bDEK7g4L4oU

6/09/2019 8:10 am  #2

Re: Kiosk - Nipissing: May 17-25 - Day 1

Not bad!!!! I especially liked the exploration of the old logging camp and ending with the sunset and moon rise

6/09/2019 9:18 am  #3

Paddlerunner, good work!
You capture the light and the mood of May ice-out solo tripping. I really liked the footage of the geese. Do give yourself a break over having worried them to catastrophe. I doubt that your passage traumatized them into neglecting their nest for more than a few minutes. That said, your commentary about some of your doubts, your feeling the blues, etc. is what helps make your story interesting and real. I've never paddled out of Kiosk, but have done several solo trips on the Nip. I'm looking forward to your next instalment. Thanks for sharing!

6/09/2019 7:06 pm  #4

great  day one,, i have never tripped into maple before,,  looks like a challenge , good work p.r.
    keep the camera rolling,, next day please

6/10/2019 3:27 am  #5

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the positive feedback and encouragement. Day 2 is currently in the works. 

6/10/2019 4:16 pm  #6

Looked good to me but is that a banjo in the soundtrack? <grin> Funny thing, I have always associated the town of Kiosk with banjos since when I took that route in the late 1970's) it was a real "outback" kind of place. I think there was a movie made there once, but it escapes me if the title ever made it to widespread distribution.

Anyway I liked the montage at the end. A nice touch.

Also, for me the next video clip in the queue was an American one, "Paddle TV" somethingerather which seemed to feature a different type of boat, more enclosed and with watertight storage compartments maybe. Since I have zero knowledge or experience of this stuff it was quite interesting.

6/10/2019 7:35 pm  #7

Nice work Paddlerunner!  Fun to watch.  Good job on camera angles and capturing the feeling of the trip.  The 3 years of practice paying off.

6/10/2019 9:56 pm  #8

Really enjoyed the video and its great to hear Im not the only one who feels the solo blues early in a trip.

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

6/13/2019 11:01 am  #9

Congrats on your first video - I quite enjoyed it! A couple of the portages up Maple Creek are quite nasty, aren't they? On the "solo blues" front, I can empathize. It took many years of solo tripping before that finally faded for me. 

Looking forward to day 2!

6/14/2019 4:13 am  #10

Many thanks again all. Definitely encouraging to get some feedback. Day 2 is almost ready and should be up by Sunday at the latest.

@oldboyscout: Glad you enjoyed the logging camp exploration. I wasn't certain about that footage as a lot of it was very jerky and rambling. Good to know the edit worked out.

@Martin2007 and @Was_Hardcore: Glad I decided to keep the 'blues' comments in there. It's true that I do get these moments at the beginning of every trip. The excitement of the drive to the put-in and the rush of finally getting out on the water quickly becomes overshadowed as the isolation grows. I think it's a form of culture shock really. On this trip it was a bit more pronounced early on because of the grey weather through most of day 1. I used to be overtaken by this sensation, then turn around and call it quits on day 2. But that was decades ago. On this trip it faded as the work of the portages set-in, particularly with some of the blowdowns and the uphill on the 805m.

@Roman_K2: Lol. I've heard this about a film being made there as well, but have never seen anything. I know my first starts from there would have been with family in that same timeframe (mid-to-late 70's) but I can't remember it ever being much different from what it is today--other than, of course, the absence of the railway. But I've certainly heard plenty of talk about the 'town of Kiosk'.

@swedishpimple: It's worth the trip up the creek to visit Maple Lake for sure, although I'd say better in summer than at ice-out! That island campsite at the south end is something special.

@GordK: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

@Uppa: Support much appreciated, especially since I feel like I've borrowed (....stolen? hopefully not) some of your techniques. Thanks for watching!

6/14/2019 10:30 am  #11

I liked your video but I wish that the dialogue volume was increased relative to the background music.

I’ve never really had the solo blues but I’ve only ever soloed with the dog so I’m never truly alone. A dog can be the perfect companion, always up for the adventure and never complaining about the hardship of carrying a 15 pound backpack.

6/15/2019 10:58 am  #12

Thanks @solos. I'm paying a bit more attention to volume levels on day 2. Mostly if the music cuts in while I'm talking it's because my speech is droning on . . . taking . . . way tooooooo . . . long . . . to . . say . . . whatever it is. In other spots I've cut out the audio because of wind noise or vibration from the boat interfering with the sound. The GoPro is amazing for taking a beating and capturing the POV especially, but it sure isn't the greatest for audio. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.