You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2019 7:48 am  #1

First 2019 Trip's PCI Submission

Thanks to Paolo Benvenuti for an PCI campsite submission from a May 22nd, 2019 visit to Pen Lake.

http://www.algonquinadventures.com/PCI/lakes/Pen/PenCS1/PenCS1.htm

6/06/2019 9:53 am  #2

Re: First 2019 Trip's PCI Submission

That site is Grand Central Station for sure in the summer season. Lot of traffic from the portage.
One neat feature if you walk the rocks towards 'Rock' is a pool that you can sit in and let the running water rush over you. 

6/06/2019 4:46 pm  #3

RCSpartan wrote:

That site is Grand Central Station for sure in the summer season. Lot of traffic from the portage..

Grand Central indeed!, I’ve crossed that portage twice with the wife and dog on a thanksgiving trip and it’s like the portage is a gathering place to socialize with other canoeists. Going to Pen the dock was so full of people milling about that they scattered when I brought up the canoe to put in the water. Coming back out to Rock I had to practically dodge a well meaning but unwanted guy who wanted to “assist” me to remove the canoe from my head when all I wanted to do is dump it in the water, load up and shove off. However, it’s not as congested as the the first portage out of Magnetawan.

6/06/2019 5:51 pm  #4

A little off topic, but what's the tent?

6/07/2019 4:48 am  #5

rgcmce wrote:

It's a Tarptent Scarp II. I wanted a tent with an integrated fly a la Hilleberg, but couldn't stomach their asking price (plus shipping, duties, taxes). This one is made in the US, is under 4 lbs, 4 season-capable, and sets up as tight as a snare drum. Unfortunately, Tarptent confirmed to me that this model is off the market for this year at least, due to production constraints. It's the little brother to the Hogback 4 person model.

6/07/2019 4:55 am  #6

Additionally, the reason for selecting the site...

We rent our canoes (for now) and this one felt a little twitchy and was a bear to keep tracking. This was probably more our fault than anything else - I'm sure it would have done much better with more weight. With the gusty winds we experienced, we decided to make hay as early as possible and get off the water by noon. Leaving the next day, we were in the canoe by 6:30, did the portage, blasted down Rock and were at AP 9 by 7:40. We had bacon and eggs in Barry's Bay and it was glorious.

6/07/2019 6:26 am  #7

Thx Scatchypants wondered about that site as I paddled by this spring and if it ever gets any use due to its location. It didn’t look too bad from the water.

And TarpTent makes Awesome tents !!!   I have owned lots of different brands but have moved over to TarpTent almost exclusively now. Use the Hogback for family or group trips and the Moment DW solo. Not sure how I could like 2 tents more.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

6/07/2019 3:50 pm  #8

scratchypants wrote:

rgcmce wrote:

It's a Tarptent Scarp II. I wanted a tent with an integrated fly a la Hilleberg, but couldn't stomach their asking price (plus shipping, duties, taxes). This one is made in the US, is under 4 lbs, 4 season-capable, and sets up as tight as a snare drum. Unfortunately, Tarptent confirmed to me that this model is off the market for this year at least, due to production constraints. It's the little brother to the Hogback 4 person model.

Thanks for the info.  I just visited their website and they've got some good looking stuff.  Food for thought.  And thanks ShawnD for the additional recommendation.

Bob M

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.