You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/04/2019 10:05 am  #1

Bug report?

Looking for an update on the bug situation.
Weather Network lists Algonquin bugs as 'moderate' but I will never be fooled by that rating again. Hope the recent cold weather thins the herd a bit.

RC

6/04/2019 2:58 pm  #2

Re: Bug report?

RCSpartan wrote:

Looking for an update on the bug situation.
Weather Network lists Algonquin bugs as 'moderate' but I will never be fooled by that rating again. Hope the recent cold weather thins the herd a bit.

RC

Alas, the only thing that will get rid of the black flies is hot weather.  The ongoing cool weather we are experiencing will result in an extended blackfly season.

6/04/2019 9:52 pm  #3

I was out Friday to Saturday last weekend through Shall lake access point. Black flies out but definitely not quite at peak. Mosquitoes starting and theyre hungry.

Bring a bug net, my friend.

6/05/2019 11:25 am  #4

we were out Thursday thru Monday via Kiosk-  loop through manitou, three mile, maple, maple creek back to kiosk- light bugs, definitely  out but not overwhelmed or at peak yet. 

6/05/2019 11:31 am  #5

this weekends heat will likely make them worse before things get better ...

7/08/2019 12:32 pm  #6

My turn to ask for a bug update...?  Going in July 18th with my boys for 5 nights - Hanging out on Daisy and Ralph Bice...Looking forward to frisbee golf, swimming, fires and hopefully fish!  But not looking forward to too many bugs... 

7/08/2019 9:18 pm  #7

My party got eaten alive a couple of years ago. That was when -- too late! -- I noticed on the way back that all the new people heading in opposite us on the HBT were wearing  FULL BODY  bug gear - head and neck, jacket pants and mittens or gloves. Like in the Lee Valley catalog. Arrgh.

A couple of days later (thinking it was all a bad dream perhaps) I looked at a few Youtube videos on the subject. In HD at 1080p, with reasonable vision you can actually see the bugs!!!

7/09/2019 9:18 am  #8

So I only recently noticed that these reports are available so I can't vouch for their accuracy yet but..

if you type in "The Area and Camping Report" into Google. The Weather Network might return a bug report.

See the page for " Rock Lake Camping Report" the bug report link is just below the initial weather forecast and shows results for Black flies, Mosquitoes and Deer Flies on a None, Low, Moderate and High Scale.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/forecasts/camping/ontario/rock-lake-algonquin-provincial-park

Works for Brent ON, Lake of Two Rivers,Achray etc..

Last edited by ShawnD (7/09/2019 9:25 am)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/09/2019 10:16 am  #9

ShawnD wrote:

So I only recently noticed that these reports are available so I can't vouch for their accuracy yet but..if you type in "The Area and Camping Report" into Google. The Weather Network might return a bug report.

In the past I looked at Accuweather's mosquito forecast in my area and there was zero correlation between forecast and actual. However, I notice that TheWeatherNetwork is using data supplied by GDG, a company specializing in municipal scale insect control, so hopefully their forecasts will be useful.

7/09/2019 10:40 am  #10

Looks like it was launched in 2015 and is available for most Campgrounds. 

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/forecasts-for-every-campground-in-canada/53885

I'll be on the Steel River in 12 days and its near Neys Provincial Park and its Camping Report  including a bug report is available. So quite extensive list. Just looking at it, it appears to be accurate using reports from people living in the area. 

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

7/09/2019 3:57 pm  #11

@pjr: I was on Cedar Lake last week. There were a few black flies. Mosquitoes weren't awesome, but also weren't terrible. The mornings were a regular slapfest, but by early afternoon I was more or less bug free. I'm taking my family into the park the same time you are, and picked up a Eureka NoBugZone just in case. I'd rather err on the side of caution, but I don't expect the bugs to be a showstopper. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.