You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2019 12:02 pm  #1

French River questions - black flies and hammocks.

I plan on being on the French River from about May 25 to May 29.  We will be doing a loop out to Georgian Bay and back.

I normally do summer/fall canoe tripping so I am overly paranoid about being out in peak black fly season, and am looking for advice or reassurance.

I'll be wearing long sleeves and pants (tucked into socks). I have gloves and a bug head net.  I'll have  most of my stuff permetherin-sprayed ahead of time, plus plenty of DEET. 

Does anyone have any idea of bug conditions right now on the French River (Hartley Bay says they are starting to come out).  Am I going to be miserable? 

Also, I normally hammock-camp, but I'm a little concerned about suitable tree locations in the rockier Georgian Bay sites (as well as being concerned about being in the trees during the black fly apocalypse).  Am I better off tenting it on the rocks, or is hammocking fine?

Thanks for any info!

5/21/2019 1:59 pm  #2

Re: French River questions - black flies and hammocks.

Is the French River in Algonquin Park???

As for bugs, you have the necessary stuff to make your trip somewhat enjoyable.

CAMPING IS WHEN YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON!

5/21/2019 2:20 pm  #3

Sorry - I know it's not in Algonquin - but it's close! 

I figured the experienced Algonquin folks would be familiar with the area.

I guess I'll tough it out and, if it's bad, it will let me appreciate my fall trip in Algonquin all the more.

5/21/2019 3:37 pm  #4

I have never travelled the French River but it is on the short list and I have looked into it.
If it was me I would leave the hammock at home and take the tent.
Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will chime in.

5/21/2019 6:10 pm  #5

Hammock won't be an issue for anywhere inland but you might be stuck on the ground with many of the little islands on Georgian Bay.

Not a ton of portaging so I'd suggest bring both so you can hang if possible but have a back-up.

5/21/2019 8:56 pm  #6

We did the French river a few years ago, keg is right, inland there’s campsites that can handle a hammmock, but in Georgian bay and the shore line, it’s shrubby conifers a lot of the time. Take a tent that is free standing, as there’s no where to secure it, even on campsites. In the bay most sites are on slabs of rock, and it can be very windy for sure and bring a good sleeping pad. Stone is very unforgiving.

5/24/2019 1:54 pm  #7

Question on permetherin.....where can i get/buy it in Canada? 

5/24/2019 5:09 pm  #8

Lukatch wrote:

Question on permetherin.....where can i get/buy it in Canada? 

You cannot buy permethrin spray for human use in Canada.  However, if you travel to the US and purchase some there you can legally bring it back to Canada provided it is only a quantity suitable for personal use.   A friend of mine works for the regulatory branch of Health Canada and he thinks it is extremely unlikely permethrin spray will ever be approved for sale in Canada.  

5/27/2019 2:08 pm  #9

I would take my hammock but bring very long straps to reach to more distant trees. (obviously that also means starting higher up too)

I've also hung my hammock with one end secured to the bottom of a tiny tree on top of a bolder that was head-height from the ground.

Disclaimer, Ive never been where you're going.

5/29/2019 11:57 pm  #10

Thanks to all who replied and sent PMs with advice.  The bugs turned out to be a non-issue - even though the people at Hartley Bay even said it would be bad.  We also had no real trouble finding hammock-friendly sites.

Some advice though for anyone thinking about doing the Frnech River anytime soon: check on the water levels before you go.  When we arrived, the park had shut down all traffic through the West Channel/Five Fingers area, as well as the Main Outlet at the Dalles rapids.   We were told we would die even if we tried to portage becuase the portages were all flooded.

We made it through to the Bay at the Bass Lake outlet, but another foot of water level rise, and even that portage would've been a waterfall.

The Georgian Bay was great, though the water level was relatively high there too.

I'd heard the Pickerel River was pretty badly burned over in the 2018 Parry Sound fire, but had heard nothing about Fox Creek - in fact I don't think I've ever read anything about anyone ever taking Fox Creek.  It was a neat paddle back that way.  It was burned pretty much from the southern-most Portage (which has been obliterated by the fire, so you have to make do) to about 3/4 of the way up to Pickerel Bay.  The 200m portage at the north end was a *very* steep climb up and down a granite hill - surprisingly difficult.

The French River is a beautiful place, and I'd like to go back sometime in better water levels.  We only saw one other canoe and two other occupied campsites the whole way.  Although, there was some power boat traffic - mostly in the northern end in the cottagey part.  Fox Creek was completely isolated (aside from the beavers and otters).

If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.