You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2019 9:37 am  #18

Re: Solo Lesta is back.

Lesta ... did you say what time of year you are heading in ?

I have 2 kids 10 and 12 ... both girls . .they love the park ... Sec lake especially.  I'd like to do a trip up a rive with them this year .. .

5/10/2019 11:37 am  #19

I'm shooting for the last week of June.

5/10/2019 9:40 pm  #20

Welcome back Les , looking forward to your video

5/22/2019 11:00 am  #21

My trip is booked.  Can anyone tell me the sort of conditions of those longer portages?
Opeongo - Happy Isle
Merchant - Big Trout
Hogan - Big Crow

Im hoping they're well worn paths being they're such popular lakes

5/22/2019 11:51 am  #22

solo_lesta wrote:

My trip is booked.  Can anyone tell me the sort of conditions of those longer portages?
Opeongo - Happy Isle
Merchant - Big Trout
Hogan - Big Crow

We were on these portages mid August last year, and they were all in good condition, though there was a 5 - 10 meter flooded section we had to "canoe" across on the Opeongo to Happy Isle trail (that we were warned about when acquiring our permit).

We found the beginning of the Hogan to Big Crow trail to be a bit of... an uphill battle!
Trip log is here, if you are interested: http://themasonfamily.ca/algonquin/summer-2018-trip.html

5/22/2019 4:27 pm  #23

shaggy wrote:

solo_lesta wrote:

Opeongo - Happy Isle
Merchant - Big Trout
Hogan - Big Crow

We were on these portages mid August last year, and they were all in good condition, though there was a 5 - 10 meter flooded section we had to "canoe" across on the Opeongo to Happy Isle trail (that we were warned about when acquiring our permit).

We found the beginning of the Hogan to Big Crow trail to be a bit of... an uphill battle!
Trip log is here, if you are interested: http://themasonfamily.ca/algonquin/summer-2018-trip.html

I also did all these portages but last fall. All great conition like Shaggy noted. 
Hogan to big Crow was probably one of the hardest Ive ever done... and Ive seen most of the park. Lol It could have just been because I started the day on Catfish and was travelling solo with a STRONG headwind.. you never know. Haha

5/22/2019 4:43 pm  #24

Even harder than heart attack hill in the north?

5/23/2019 1:10 pm  #25

last week of june should put you past the blackfly season.  That's good.

We had a great trip when we went up that way last time but did get wind bound for a full day along the way.  We took the opportunity to bushwack into a small lake to drown some worms ... it was  a massacre for the worms ... no fish. 

5/23/2019 1:29 pm  #26

Dead_Weight (DW) wrote:

... it was  a massacre for the worms ... no fish. 

oof 

And thats why i rarely bring my fishing stuff.  Thats just extra weight and likely to get broken.  Ive never caught anything - partly because i just go go go all day.

Last edited by solo_lesta (5/23/2019 1:48 pm)

5/23/2019 3:20 pm  #27

solo_lesta wrote:

Even harder than heart attack hill in the north?

I did not have a heart attack on the hill from Hogan to Crow, so perhaps it isn't as bad?

5/23/2019 4:36 pm  #28

Heart Attack Hill is like climbing a mountain with a boat on your back. The Big Crow to Hogan portage is pretty kind for the first kilometer or so (Big Crow to Hogan direction), then gets less friendly. Rocks, roots, marsh, boardwalks, every Algonquin portage rolled into one. It's not terrible, it's just long. 

5/23/2019 6:08 pm  #29

I'm considering a canoe cart for my kayak, after reviewing the other portages on my route.  It may be worth the extra distance considering it's one way and not three.

5/24/2019 8:23 am  #30

I think there`s a couple of members here that have come up with a pretty innovative setup for carrying kayaks ... but the cart is not a bad idea ...

5/24/2019 7:04 pm  #31

I have not been through that area since 2014 but you may want to reconsider dragging a cart along.
To the best of my knowledge you could only use it on the cart trail from Hogan to big Crow (6745M), only the last click or so of the 3750M port uses the cart trail and possibly from Proulx to Opeongo using the pond. Beyond that I think it would just be dead weight (Couldn't help myself DW).
These are a few pictures from 2011 and 2014 to give you an idea.

Opengo to Happy Isle
100_8660 by Rob, on Flickr
100_8661 by Rob, on Flickr
100_8663 by Rob, on Flickr

Merchant to Big Trout
P7210055 by Rob, on Flickr
P7210057 by Rob, on Flickr

5/27/2019 9:49 am  #32

You definitely don't want Dead_Weight on your trip ... he`s trouble ...  !

5/27/2019 1:56 pm  #33

Thank you for that info.  Perhaps a robust sled/skid  would work.

These are the longest portages I will have ever taken on* so other than just budgeting the time for the speed I tend to work at, I have no other strategies to try out.

* I did start the Dickson Bonfield portage but got picked up by rangers because of an emergency at home.

6/30/2019 11:08 pm  #34

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.