You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2019 10:06 pm  #1

Bug Reports

Wondering what the bug situation is like right now and what you think it will be like this spring with the high water?

5/07/2019 10:27 pm  #2

Re: Bug Reports

Based on my limited experience and that I just saw my first southern Ontario black flies of the year 5 days ago, I think there are near zero bugs right now in Algonquin. With the later than usual ice out I think the black flies will start biting later than usual, hopefully not before Victoria Day. I don’t think the water level will have much of an impact ... June will be buggy.

5/07/2019 11:02 pm  #3

For comparison, last year I didn't see a black-fly in north end (Cedar/Catfish/Nip R) of APP until May 17th.

5/08/2019 12:49 am  #4

Saw my first black fly of the season yesterday just north of the GTA.  

5/08/2019 9:46 am  #5

based on history and the forecast, should not be a problem for a week or two ...

5/09/2019 6:34 pm  #6

Thank you

5/10/2019 9:45 am  #7

One year we did a trip the first week of June ... peak blackfly season that year, tons of mosquitoes and horseflies on the portages as well ... bug nets and two full bottles of deep woods off were made it manageable.  if the park didn't have such great fishing no way I'd be there at that time.  A week, especially if its warm, can bring out the black flies pretty quick ...     

5/13/2019 9:25 am  #8

I bushwacked into a couple of lakes an hour or so south of the park on Saturday and stirred up some blackflies.  They were not bad enough to put on bug spray but they were biting. Ì would say that based on that we should be in for a typical blackfly peak later this month ...

5/13/2019 10:20 am  #9

Early morning Saturday and Sunday was too cool for me to see any black flies in my local southern ontario patch of woods but looks like the forecast for Algonquin has some moderately warm days and nights ... a bit of a crap shoot as far as predicting how the bugs will be this upcoming weekend. I think it will be better than average but it would be awesome if there will be near zero bugs.

5/13/2019 3:53 pm  #10

I just got home from a 3 nighter in Killarney and was swarmed a few times  by blackflies , no bites but they were annoying.

Last edited by R2 (5/13/2019 3:54 pm)

5/16/2019 6:08 am  #11

Thanks for the info everyone, hopefully the bugs wont be terrible this weekend and the fish will be biting

5/16/2019 9:03 pm  #12

Heading in on Monday - Smoke Lake.  Destination trip to Linda.  Any info on bugs is much appreciated!!

5/16/2019 9:17 pm  #13

pjr2013 wrote:

Heading in on Monday - Smoke Lake.  Destination trip to Linda.  Any info on bugs is much appreciated!!

No info about the bugs, but go for the island site (assuming decent weather). It's very small and exposed so the wind and lack of dense trees will be your best bet against the bugs.

Island site: https://algonquinbeyond.com/campsites/linda-lake-campsite-1-2018/

There are pics of all the other campsites here as well: https://algonquinbeyond.com/algonquin-campsites/

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/19/2019 11:28 am  #14

Indeed trippy things - we'll be heading for the island site!  heading out tomorrow @ 530am...should be good...

5/19/2019 7:26 pm  #15

pjr2013 wrote:

Indeed trippy things - we'll be heading for the island site!  heading out tomorrow @ 530am...should be good...

Just returned from a 2 nighter , Sunbeam island site (thanks trippythings ) she is a beauti. second night Burnt Island , no bugs as of yet. Enjoy your trip

Last edited by R2 (5/19/2019 7:27 pm)

5/20/2019 2:38 pm  #16

On the 16th there were no bugs in the morning because it was too cold. A few times I encountered a few bugs out in the bush behind Basin Lake. Some bugs were occasionally around camp. Nothing biting. Not yet annoying.

On the 17th there were no bugs. The 7.5 hours of rain last night seemed to scare them away.

On the 18th there was one black fly. He’d come and bother me every half hour or so. I know it was the same one, he looked exactly the same.

On the 19th there were some in the back bush but still not biting. A big shower washed them all away so I didn’t see another before leaving the park.

5/20/2019 3:12 pm  #17

17th Canoe to Littledoe.
18th, side trip to Vanishing Pond area.
19th, Littledoe to Canoe. 

On the evening of the 18th a couple of mosquitoes buzzed my ears while I sat at water's edge, as in three.  Saw one black fly on the morning of the 18th.  I walked all over the area of the campsite on Littledoe as well.  Nothing.    Yet......... 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.