You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2019 1:11 pm  #1

It is almost upon us

For me, the season opener will be a brief trip from the 17th-19th.  Fishing pole is staying at home, this is purely to get out there and enjoy being out there.  Day 1 - Canoe to Little Doe, Day 2 - side trip to Baden Powell (I will bring a pen to sign the register), Day 3 - Little Doe to Canoe.   Fewest portages ever: 1 on the route, 1 on the side trip (plus a beaver dam).  That is just the way it worked out, but at this point in the season I'm probably better off with more paddling and less portaging.

While it is heavily traveled, I've never been to this area.  I'm sure there will be people there, but I'm also pretty sure I'll still be able to find a place to park.  And the weather....shhhh....looks pretty good.  The wind may get unpleasant, but one hurdle at a time.  I've not gone this time of year, so I'm prepared to hug the shore, wear neoprene boots, bring more clothing layers than usual, and will use a compressed foam pad rather than a klymit air mattress.

Anybody else visiting an area that is "new to you" for the weekend?   

5/14/2019 1:16 pm  #2

Re: It is almost upon us

My first day and last day of my spring opener have some new territory in them. I've been through Canoe Lake a dozen times, but I've always headed East at the fork to the portage to Joe. This time I'm heading up the other fork through Potter's Creek to Brule. Then a number of days later I'll be portaging south out of Burnt Island towards Linda, then through that whole stretch of lakes (Owl, Raven etc) back to the Canoe lake access point. Until I reach Smoke, that's all new territory as well. Plus I've never actually portaged across Highway 60 before!

Last edited by Uppa (5/14/2019 1:32 pm)

5/14/2019 2:48 pm  #3

dontgroandaddy, my daughter and I will be doing the exact same route as you. Only on the 18th - 20th. I've never been into the interior this early before.  I'll admit that I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be getting cold, wet feet on the way into, and out of, Baden Powell Lake. But I am still excited.

5/14/2019 3:39 pm  #4

My route (which has unfortunately just been shortened by a day and adjusted accordingly) is almost entirely new to me. I start on Kiosk then head west through Manitou, down to Biggar and over to Maple by way of Three Mile. Apart from Kiosk and Maple that’s all new territory for me.

Can’t wait.

(Also, @dontgroandaddy, I’ve booked your exact trip with my kids for the July long weekend)

5/14/2019 5:58 pm  #5

I am heading out of Canoe on the 17th also,  going up to Sunbeam and then Burnt Island for a short two nighter( I have never camped on either). I was hoping early season canoeing would mean less travellers through the area but it appears to be filling up fast. Happy tripping

5/14/2019 6:01 pm  #6

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

My route (which has unfortunately just been shortened by a day and adjusted accordingly) is almost entirely new to me. I start on Kiosk then head west through Manitou, down to Biggar and over to Maple by way of Three Mile. Apart from Kiosk and Maple that’s all new territory for me.

I'm sure I've already linked this for you before, but I just moved my trip report for when I was in that area over to my new website and added some more pictures for the campsites, etc. If you're interested: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/four-days-in-north-algonquin/

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/14/2019 7:57 pm  #7

trippythings wrote:

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

I'm sure I've already linked this for you before, but I just moved my trip report for when I was in that area over to my new website and added some more pictures for the campsites, etc. If you're interested: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/four-days-in-north-algonquin/

That was great. I hadn’t read it yet so thanks for sharing.

5/15/2019 4:44 am  #8

@AlgonquinLakes what day are you heading in? Maybe we'll run into each other.I'm starting from Kiosk on Friday morning. Updated 10-day route looks like this. (Sorry for the size of this! And the watermark. Seems my posting issues aren't fully resolved.)

New areas are upper Maple Creek through JEH Macdonald, and Nod to the 875m portage on the Nip. But I haven't been through Nip to Skuce in 25 years, so that almost qualifies as new too .

Can hardly believe my trip is only 2 days away now--it's been such a long winter. Can't wait to get out there!!

5/15/2019 9:13 am  #9

Hi Paddlerunner,    What dates are you on Nadine? I see you are there for 2 nights.

My son, the dog and I are going into Cedar on Saturday (the 18th) for 8 days.  
Night 1 - Little Cauchon, night 2 - Mouse, Night 3 - Skuce, night 4 & 5 - Nadine, night 6 - Long Marsh on the Nip, night 7 - Cedar then home.

We've been out of Cedar but up the Pet and done the stretch from Mink to Erables on a trip out of Kiosk before but the rest is all new to us!  Can't wait!!

Happy paddling everyone!

5/15/2019 9:34 am  #10

Heading to allan lake (friday) and north depot lake (saturday sunday). Going to daytrip up the North River on saturday. Was originally going to North River lake but changed my reservation after seeing how packed it was going to be. 

5/15/2019 10:14 am  #11

Lenny wrote:

Heading to allan lake (friday) and north depot lake (saturday sunday). Going to daytrip up the North River on saturday. Was originally going to North River lake but changed my reservation after seeing how packed it was going to be. 

Good choice! Did that on opening weekend a few years ago. Just too much traffic! Besides, North Depot is beautiful! I'm trying to figure out a summer route that will take me through from Wendigo to Radiant as part of something much bigger but haven't got it sorted yet. One of my favourite areas for sure. 

@SwiftPaddler: Ah hah! That's you on Nadine my first night (Wednesday). Was eyeing the availability of sites as I planned this and saw I was taking the very last site on Nadine that day. It actually had me rethinking this but I'll definitely say hello. I'm paddling a blue Keewaydin 15. I imagine you'll be easy to spot with the dog! See you out there.

Hope everyone has a great trip! Enjoy!!

5/15/2019 10:51 am  #12

We will be paddling a red/white Kipawa with our gold coloured Goldendoodle aboard.   He growls softly (big tough guy) if he hears a barred owl in the middle of the night but other then that you won't hear a peep out of him. 

Will say hello if we see ya!

5/15/2019 11:01 am  #13

Paddlerunner wrote:

@AlgonquinLakes what day are you heading in? Maybe we'll run into each other.I'm starting from Kiosk on Friday morning. Updated 10-day route looks like this. (Sorry for the size of this! And the watermark. Seems my posting issues aren't fully resolved.)

I’m heading in tomorrow morning, on Maple Sunday night, so unfortunately I don’t think we’ll be crossing paths. Have a great trip though! I very much want to get down to Nadine for the first time some time soon.

5/16/2019 1:24 pm  #14

Uppa wrote:

My first day and last day of my spring opener have some new territory in them. I've been through Canoe Lake a dozen times, but I've always headed East at the fork to the portage to Joe. This time I'm heading up the other fork through Potter's Creek to Brule. Then a number of days later I'll be portaging south out of Burnt Island towards Linda, then through that whole stretch of lakes (Owl, Raven etc) back to the Canoe lake access point. Until I reach Smoke, that's all new territory as well. Plus I've never actually portaged across Highway 60 before!

Ugh, Potters Creek.  Did that last Canada Day and I don't suggest it.  Especially in May when the water is freezing.  Honestly, I know it's a LOT longer but I would take the 2km portage from Teepee.  Potters Creek is very shallow, moves against you, and we had to string up the river multiple times.

Brule is great though.  FoA has a "book" (see: pamphlet) called "Born on Brule Lake" which was a great read.  Really made the history come alive when I was there.  If you PM me I can either mail you my copy or scan it for you.  Lots of great pics to hold up and see how it used to be.  Highly suggest the eastern campsite if you can get it.

Ian

5/16/2019 2:48 pm  #15

I went by Potters creek to Brule and McIntosh after an ice-out some years ago and it was a pleasant experience. Levels differ, of course, but if you ever take this route - May's probably the best time for the flow. Fish was aplenty at rapids.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.