You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2019 12:32 am  #1

Big Porcupine L to Big Porcupine L - 395m

Hi all! Looking for an oddly obscure piece of info for the map.

Has anyone done the 395m portage across the middle of Big Porcupine Lake? I googled around and didn't find anything on it, unfortunately (presumably, most people skip it).

In particular, I'm just looking to confirm that it's a fairly clear/wide trail that's typically in decent enough shape.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

5/13/2019 8:10 am  #2

Re: Big Porcupine L to Big Porcupine L - 395m

From what I've heard lots of folks do take that portage. Apparently the headwinds can be a bit fierce paddling around. 

5/13/2019 10:05 am  #3

Thanks RobW! Just wasn't finding any trip logs that mentioned it =)

5/13/2019 10:33 am  #4

I did it a couple of years ago. My trip report that covers it is pretty light on detail, which probably means it was a fairly ordinary carry. I certainly don't remember anything too challenging or unusual about it.

5/13/2019 11:34 am  #5

Awesome.

Didn’t realize you’d gone there or I would’ve PMed you. Been reading a bunch of your stuff

5/13/2019 3:29 pm  #6

jeffreym wrote:

Awesome.

Didn’t realize you’d gone there or I would’ve PMed you. Been reading a bunch of your stuff

Hope it's been useful

5/13/2019 11:33 pm  #7

For sure :D

5/14/2019 1:06 pm  #8

I went there a while back too and couldn't for the life of me figure out why people would portage half a k over paddling 2k.  But I guess wind does trump a lot of other considerations.  Kinda like the portaging 105m and adding 3k paddle to bypass the east narrows on Opeongo.

5/14/2019 8:54 pm  #9

I took the portage on a brutally windy day coming north up the lake. Didn’t want to get pushed around in the narrows (shallow with rocks plus wind = ugh) or coming around the corner out of the narrows.
It is a nice easy carry up and over a rolling hill. Didn’t feel long at all.

5/15/2019 5:22 pm  #10

Did that portage a couple years ago going South because the winds were brutal that day. I remember it being fairly buggy. This was over the August long weekend. Pretty level terrain from what I remember. Well maintained.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.