You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2019 10:45 pm  #1

"Heart Attack Hill" portage

Mine to date is the  St Andrews to Marie portage
but I am sure there are others longer and more demanding?

Last edited by Raton_Laveur (5/06/2019 10:46 pm)

5/07/2019 4:14 am  #2

Re: "Heart Attack Hill" portage

Hmm, well the official one is between Little Nadine and Little Osler--477.5 meters straight up and 477.5 meters straight down as I recall. I'll be hitting that on day 8 of my spring trip, which as currently booked will fall on May 18th. I imagine it will be somewhat more challenging at age 50 than it was at age 25 when I last did it. But then my canoe today weighs about 60% less than the one I was carrying back then, and I'll have eaten the majority of my food, whereas that was day 2 back in 1994. So who knows? Maybe it'll come out even.

5/07/2019 7:20 am  #3

The 'official' Heart Attack Hill absolutely deserves its name - it's a brutal climb. But if I had to give an award for the suckiest portage in the park, it would be the 4425 between Tarn and St. Andrews. An ascent that continues pretty much non-stop for two kilometers is... not fun. 

5/07/2019 8:05 am  #4

Uppa wrote:

The 'official' Heart Attack Hill absolutely deserves its name - it's a brutal climb. But if I had to give an award for the suckiest portage in the park, it would be the 4425 between Tarn and St. Andrews. An ascent that continues pretty much non-stop for two kilometers is... not fun. 

I’ll second this. Hardest climb I’ve done so far. On the plus side, coming down is great.

5/07/2019 8:17 am  #5

We'll soon be climbing Heart Attack hill for a second time, while on our honeymoon, because we're obviously nuts. Oh and we're bringing 2 dogs just to make it interesting.

5/07/2019 9:41 pm  #6

Yes, official heart attack hill is suitably named.

Agreed, Andrews to Marie is a shocker compared to most other portages in that area.

The first part of Dickson to Round Island is no cakewalk, either. Up and up and up and up and up....

5/08/2019 9:30 am  #7

Maybe it's just me, but another bad thing with the official "heart attack hill" is the P450 from Skuce to L.Nadine immediately before the actual Heart Attach Hill from L. Nadine to L. Osler.... we were coming south towards the Nip and Those two portages back to back were deadly. the 450 is not super difficult, but does also have some decent elevation change rather quickly. 
I remember collapsing, leaning on an erratic, at the top of the H.A. Hill, questioning why I put myself through this... fond memories.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.