You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2019 5:57 pm  #1

self inflating sleeping pads

does anyone have one,, has any one tried these self inflating sleeping pads  any reviews, opinions.  like thermal rest products,,  thanks

5/01/2019 6:24 pm  #2

Re: self inflating sleeping pads

Yes, I have a Thermarest self inflating one that I've been using now for about 5 years. I've made a point to always store it uncompressed but over the years it seems to take longer and longer to self inflate on it's own and requires me blowing into it to top-off the filling. I've just made the decision this spring to retire it and go back to a non-inflatable for two reasons: 1) deflated size&weight 2) higher loft. 

<edited> reading the other contributions, perhaps it may be the thickness that makes the difference. Mine fully inflated is about 3/4"

Last edited by Andy W (5/01/2019 6:47 pm)

5/01/2019 6:25 pm  #3

I’ve had thermarest selfinflating pads for over 20 years. Love them. I have one that inflates to almost 2” thickness and I have no issues with sore hips or shoulders. They are bulky although not heavy. I made a waterproof sack for it so it can be strapped on the outside of a backpack/canoe pack.
None of the pads have ever broken or deflated. Years ago I bought a nylon contraption with straps at MEC that let’s you fold one of the pads into a comfortable chair. As we are shoulder season campers the only small issue we’ve had is some condensation on the bottom between the pad and tent floor. While breaking camp we hang pad out if weather allows and it dries very quickly.

5/01/2019 6:37 pm  #4

This is a piece of kit I would NEVER go camping without.  Worth every penny.

I have two thermarests - I bought one used (a "luxury series" for $50) 18 years ago and it still works beautifully.  I bought a second one of this brand (a regular one) and it too works really well.  

I picked up two MEC brand ones about 4 years ago - my kids use these and they have never complained.  They seem to work well - I worry about them though, because the fabric and overall construction seems lower calibre.  That said, they fold/roll up better than the thermarest IMO - If I were to buy another one, I would still go with the thermarest.  I find to roll them tight enough, you have to deflate them, close the valve, unroll and quickly and roll them up, while still keeping the roll tight as considerable air will infiltrate quickly.  The mattress needs to be topped up once it expands (I like mine super taught).

I have no experience with any other brands.

I think one key to the longevity is taking care of them - we keep them unrolled, with the valve open when not in use.  A good place to store them is under the bed...This was the advice I was given when I bought the first used one and I followed.  Seems to work!

5/01/2019 8:17 pm  #5

I recommend the Thermarest Neo-Air All-Season. Cushy, good for side-sleeping, rugged so far (almost 5 years).

No, it’s not “self-inflating”—even those require some breaths—but it has a high 4.9 R-value and is extremely light. 820 grams for the wide one.

I have the Prolite Plus Large selfinflating pad, too, but it is 880 grams and 3.4 R value, and not as comfy. I much prefer the comfort of the Neo-air all-season.

I splurged and bought the tiny electric pump for $38 (just checked, it’s now $50–wow) I know, crazy, but wow that super light thing works like a charm and saves me a lot of hyperventilation.

5/02/2019 4:53 am  #7

Methye wrote:

I recommend the Thermarest Neo-Air All-Season. Cushy, good for side-sleeping, rugged so far (almost 5 years).

No, it’s not “self-inflating”—even those require some breaths—but it has a high 4.9 R-value and is extremely light. 820 grams for the wide one.

I have the Prolite Plus Large selfinflating pad, too, but it is 880 grams and 3.4 R value, and not as comfy. I much prefer the comfort of the Neo-air all-season.

I splurged and bought the tiny electric pump for $38 (just checked, it’s now $50–wow) I know, crazy, but wow that super light thing works like a charm and saves me a lot of hyperventilation.

Didn't yours come with one of those blow up bags?  It's a top piece of kit if you ask me.  

5/02/2019 5:51 am  #8

Chuck Enwinde wrote:

Methye wrote:

Didn't yours come with one of those blow up bags?  It's a top piece of kit if you ask me.  

I could never get the hang of the stuffsack-blow-up bag. And the pump was lighter. ( I just put an elastic band around my pad to carry it.)

5/02/2019 7:13 am  #9

I also have a thermarest neo air, and feel that it’s the only option. It’s so comfortable and compact and high quality, there’s no reason not to get it if you do a few trips a year. It does take a fair amount of air to inflate, but as others have said there are work arounds for that. My, and many other folks experience with the MEC brand pads is that they delaminate over time. Very disappointed that MEC puts their name on that trash. The parent company to Thermarest is one of the few really solid, customer experience driven companies left that I know of. They build as much as possible in the US, they have excellent warranties and customer support by all accounts, and they make quality products rather than concerning themselves with racing to the bottom dollar like everyone else. Even if their product wasn’t better, I would support them on those principals alone.

5/02/2019 7:54 am  #10

I've had several pads over the years and the ones that seem to hold up the best are the Therma-Rest brands.

2 Big Agnes pads - both developed leaks within a couple years
1 Exped Downmat - developed a leak within 2 years
1 Thermarest - at least 20 years old and still going strong
1 Thermarest Mondoking- 5 years and still going strong
1 Thermarest AllSeason - 3 years and still going strong

I don't think I'd go with any other brand moving forward.  Having said that I've pretty much switched to hammock camping with down underquilts as I don't want to be in the back country and have a failure with a sleeping pad...especially in the winter

5/02/2019 8:36 am  #11

Those NeoAir Thermarests sound pretty krinkly and noisy in the store. How are they in the real world?

5/02/2019 9:04 am  #12

Technically noisier than the self inflating, but has never been irritating to me. It’s gotten quieter over the years, but even if it didn’t it’s well worth it for the warmth it provides IMO.

5/02/2019 9:53 am  #13

Neo-air mini pump is on clearance here if that interests you.. 

https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/gear-by-activity/camp-hike/sleeping-mats-accessories/sleeping-mat-accessories/product/therm-a-rest-neoair-mini-pump-331522100.html#331522100=331522101

Pads we own:
Neoair Uberlite Large
Neoair Xtherm Regular
Neoair Xlite Womens
Neoair Camper Regular
Neoair Camper Large
Sea to Summit Comfort Plus
Klymit Static  V Luxe 
2 older Big Agnes pads forget the model
Nemo Astro

Only ones that have failed on me are both Big Agnes pads and the Nemo. None of the Therma rests.have ever failed.
The most comfortable is the Camper large
The lightest is the Uberlite
Loudest is the Xtherm
Warmest is the Xtherm

If you are buying for 3 season use I wouldn't go with a pad with an R value of less than 3.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

5/02/2019 10:18 am  #14

RobW wrote:

Those NeoAir Thermarests sound pretty krinkly and noisy in the store. How are they in the real world?

There are a few different levels of NeoAir products. One is more crinkly sounding than the other. I THINK I have the NeoAir Venture and it is less crinkly than some of the other NeoAir versions. But, it still has a little crinkly-ness. 

It never bothers me camping but I notice it more when I'm inside and sleeping on someone's floor. 

I find the crinkly-ness totally worth it for the weight and packability and overall comfort. 

5/02/2019 10:27 am  #15

I got the 2" Eureka self inflating a few years ago. Really liked it. No issues. But I wanted a little more cushion.  
https://eurekatentscanada.com/products/view/275?s=section_28

I have since been using the woods 4" pad. Absolutely love it. Sure it might be a little more bulky when rolled up. And being 7lbs, but I wouldn't think of leaving it behind. Wish I had this 25 years ago. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-max-rest-self-inflating-mattress-4-in-0765558p.0765558.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv9u__JP94QIVk47ICh2z5QHlEAQYBCABEgIWOPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=140

I'm just gone Fishin!

5/02/2019 11:58 am  #16

I have a couple of therma-rests.  Bought in '94 and they've been to Africa, Australia, and countless Ontario trips.  Have never had a problem with them and they still perform like new.  As you get older you start to feel the thinness a little more in your hips if a side-sleeper.  Happily my kids can still make use of them and i can in a pinch : )  You might want to look into the thicker pads if you are flexible on weight.

5/02/2019 5:35 pm  #17

nvm wrote:

Technically noisier than the self inflating, but has never been irritating to me. It’s gotten quieter over the years, but even if it didn’t it’s well worth it for the warmth it provides IMO.

I've swapped out my Thermarest ProPlus self inflate'r for the NeoAir and FWIW, glad I made the switch for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Yes, it's a little more noisier but not much with a sleeping bag on it.  

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.