You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2019 6:49 pm  #1

Access to Sunday Lake?

Well, my backcountry trip starting May 07 has been scuttled due to the delayed opening

Back to daytrips...does anyone know how to access Sunday Lake? Is it possible to take the road all the way up to access point A43 (on Jeff's map)?

Thanks!

5/01/2019 7:30 pm  #2

Re: Access to Sunday Lake?

Yes, it's legal to take that road to that starting point. I can't speak to its current condition, but my recollection is that it's at a fairly high elevation compared to the surrounding terrain, so I'd be hopeful it isn't washed out.

To get to it, head to the Big Pines Trail parking lot, then head up the road (unsigned) at the west end of the parking lot. From there, drive until you see the gate. There is a small parking area on the left, and a marked portage down to the lake on the right.

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

5/01/2019 7:38 pm  #3

Pretty much.
These were taken May 2015

Not to far up you will see the locked gate

The portage is on the right

and there are spots to pull off the road to park.

And the looks you get driving though the parking lot are priceless.

5/01/2019 10:38 pm  #4

I was there last year in September. Like the others have said, you can drive all the way to the start of the short portage... it's short, but it's a steep little portage that's for sure.

The landing into Sunday Lake wasn't the greatest so I would assume ice out conditions probably won't be any better... but figuring out how to load the canoe is a minor inconvenience in my opinion.

The island site on Sunday looked really nice but I didn't camp there. I went over to Sproule.... tons of pics from all the campsites etc. here if you're interested: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/beautiful-overnight-on-sproule-lake/

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

5/02/2019 11:51 am  #5

Have been on Sunday one time, easy access as noted already.  You have to step over a couple of very small creeks on the portage which may be a little more mucky this time of year.  Also, if memory serves there is a gate on the road at the edge of the Big Pines Trail parking lot.  This has always been open but I have read that it is sometimes closed.  Might be worth a call to the East Gate to ask. You could still hike up the road to the Access point but it would add time to your journey.  Since Jeff has already posted and didn't mention I'm thinking maybe that gate isn't a problem once the park is officially open.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.