You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2019 7:18 am  #103

Re: ice out 2019 - too early to discuss?

I don't think there's any chance of the park opening this coming Friday, sadly. I'm sorry for anyone who was planning to head in this weekend. 

4/30/2019 7:24 am  #104

Too bad, this weekend looks promising for some significant changes though

4/30/2019 8:58 am  #105

Just for some reference, yesterday (April 29) 4 dudes were standing around on the  ice together, fishing brook trout on a backcountry algonquin lake. Those looking to canoe are definitely going to have to wait.
The only ppl who can access the park right for trout openener need some gear and knowledge re: ice. Very few lakes arent ice covered up here. 

4/30/2019 9:42 am  #106

It would be nice if they would at least open up some of the campgrounds this weekend.  The weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday is pretty fantastic right now and it sure would be nice to visit the park even if canoeing is not an option.

4/30/2019 9:47 am  #107

yellowcanoe wrote:

It would be nice if they would at least open up some of the campgrounds this weekend.  The weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday is pretty fantastic right now and it sure would be nice to visit the park even if canoeing is not an option.

Depending on your experience or familiarity with it, there's lots and lots of Crown. I live adjacent to Crown adjacent to Park and last year during the late ice out I started meeting way more people than usual in the crown land lakes and trails because the park wont rent permits. Crown lands adjacent to the park are the exact same quality of nature except find your own adventure, your safety is not regulated by Ontario Parks and you have to know the land and risks associated with spring.

4/30/2019 10:04 am  #108

ryanmorin wrote:

yellowcanoe wrote:

Depending on your experience or familiarity with it, there's lots and lots of Crown. I live adjacent to Crown adjacent to Park and last year during the late ice out I started meeting way more people than usual in the crown land lakes and trails because the park wont rent permits. Crown lands adjacent to the park are the exact same quality of nature except find your own adventure, your safety is not regulated by Ontario Parks and you have to know the land and risks associated with spring.

Actually considering this if late next week comes around and it's still a no go on APP.

4/30/2019 10:11 am  #109

The word I received from one park official with permitting told me that at the moment it looks like it may be push back another week.  

4/30/2019 12:09 pm  #110

@yellow canoe I second that. Even open the backpacking trails. Gonna be a beaut weekend!

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/30/2019 12:17 pm  #111

I'm no expert but, in comparing the recent satellite images on FOAP (April 28 2019 vs. April 30 2018), it looks like we are slightly ahead of last year (May 10). And, I understand it's warmer and wetter now than this time last year...and, looks like a specatular warm weekend coming (~16C)...I'm guessing ice out after May 03 but perhaps not long after...my question though is this: if 'true' ice out (Opeongo) occurs any time between May 03 and May 09, will they wait until Friday May 10th to issue permits (I understand that Friday openings seem to have become the norm)?

Last edited by goneagainjon (4/30/2019 1:19 pm)

4/30/2019 12:34 pm  #112

I would love to see the ice go out again. Completely iced over to ice free in one day. So cool. I'm booked for Friday, so crossing my fingers..........

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/30/2019 12:54 pm  #113

Delayed to May 10th . just got an email..

Due to the late arrival of spring, Algonquin (Interior) Provincial Park will be delaying the opening date of the campgrounds until May 10th, 2019 (subject to change). As a result of the delayed opening, your reservation will need to be modified or cancelled.  You may change your reservation with no penalty or cancel for a full refund by phone only. Please contact our call centre at 1-888-668-7275 to speak to a reservation agent for assistance. The call centre is open from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). Please provide the agent with your booking number for fast and efficient service.

Last edited by ShawnD (4/30/2019 2:10 pm)

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/30/2019 1:00 pm  #114

Splakin wrote:

I would love to see the ice go out again. Completely iced over to ice free in one day. So cool. I'm booked for Friday, so crossing my fingers..........

Ive been watching it go out from my homeoffice window on Lake of bays and it was a weird, slow process this year. Even currently im looking at water but ice plates occasionally float by. Its been a really odd breakup this year I think due in part to those crazy rains. 

Here is a pic of it when it was really moving the other day, along with a few tourists trespassing on my neighbors lawn to get a view - dont blame them - it was noisy

4/30/2019 2:20 pm  #115

Hey Shawn! Who exactly did you get an email from? I didn't get one yet? I have a backpacking reservation. Hopefully the trails are still a green light. 

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/30/2019 2:25 pm  #116

ON Parks.

Sorry Splakin. I think it is All backcountry sites.

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.
 - George Washington Sears

4/30/2019 2:27 pm  #117

https://twitter.com/Algonquin_PP/status/1123301324026712064

Last edited by cj_photo (4/30/2019 2:27 pm)

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Dr. Carl Sagan

4/30/2019 2:35 pm  #118

That sucks! I only booked today because I saw a pic of the western upland access point yesterday on FB. Totally dry both sides of the bridge. I've walked thru water before years ago lol. Well that's a huge bummer.....
Thanks

I'm just gone Fishin!

4/30/2019 4:40 pm  #119

Swift Fifteen wrote:

MAY 10th.

That's my prediction for ice-out. Winner receives GPS co-ordinates to my favorite secret brook trout fishing hole in APP - guaranteed 5lb'rs.

Thankfully I don't have to give up any secret brook trout fishing holes.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.