You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2019 1:45 pm  #1

What happens to reservations if ice out delayed???

Hi Friends,

I remain optimistic re: ice out but need a contingency plan. My backcountry reservation runs from Tues May 07- Sunday May 12 inclusive. If the park opens, say Friday May 10, is my whole reservation canceled or just the tues, wed, thurs nites?

Related question: Can one 'day-trip' into a backcountry lake before the backcountry is officially open? Does it make a difference whether the backcountry lake has overnight camping spots or not?

Many thanks all!

4/29/2019 2:25 pm  #2

Re: What happens to reservations if ice out delayed???

Recent practice has been to cancel and refund a week at a time. If ice isn't out by May 3rd, then expect the park to say no permits will be issued until May 10th. They could of course change the pattern at any time, but that's how they have been handling it in recent years. 

I know there are several day trails that are officially closed at the moment. However, there has not been any restriction on back country day trips historically. For example in 2014 we couldn't do our overnight trip because permits weren't being issued but showed up on May 4th and confirmed when we got our day use permit that we were allowed to paddle, just not camp overnight. 

4/29/2019 11:05 pm  #3

Re: What happens to reservations if ice out delayed???

RobW wrote:

Recent practice has been to cancel and refund a week at a time. If ice isn't out by May 3rd, then expect the park to say no permits will be issued until May 10th. They could of course change the pattern at any time, but that's how they have been handling it in recent years. 

I know there are several day trails that are officially closed at the moment. However, there has not been any restriction on back country day trips historically. For example in 2014 we couldn't do our overnight trip because permits weren't being issued but showed up on May 4th and confirmed when we got our day use permit that we were allowed to paddle, just not camp overnight. 

Yup, same as last year.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.