You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2019 1:00 pm  #1

Western UplandsTrail in Winter

I'm planning to go very soon. Anyone know if the trail has very deep snow? Do I need snowshoes? I'm planning to camp just before Maple Leaf Lake.

1/31/2019 7:16 pm  #2

Re: Western UplandsTrail in Winter

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/general_park_info/algonquin-park-weather.php

The info is for Lake of Two Rivers but it gives you past precipitation, temperature, snow depth. Should give you a rough idea. Right now there is a 70 cm snow depth. I’d pack the snowshoes.

Last edited by solos (1/31/2019 7:22 pm)

1/31/2019 9:10 pm  #3

Thanks. Last year the site said about 45cm, however, the snow on the trail was packed and didn't need snowshoes. I was just how the current trail conditions were.

2/03/2019 3:06 am  #4

Okicamping wrote:

Thanks. Last year the site said about 45cm, however, the snow on the trail was packed and didn't need snowshoes. I was just how the current trail conditions were.

Well, that could change pretty dramatically pretty quick.. Those in The GTA  can attest to that after this week, 
I don't think I would go anywhere backcountry without shoes.

Dave

2/03/2019 3:43 pm  #5

Definitely need snowshoes

We did the first loop the end of December. ( Counterclockwise )

From The trail head to Ramona was broken trail - but right after and around to Maggie ( where we stayed ) was about 30 cm of snow that we had to break trail. 
From maggie to maple leaf more trail breaking but from maple leaf out snowshoes were optional. 

Even with just a little snow it makes it so much easier to travel with snowshoes. 

Have a great trip !

2/04/2019 12:53 pm  #6

Snowshoes? Yep.

Different trail but, I went around Provoking Lake, on the Eastern Backpacking trail two weekends ago as a day trip. Without snowshoes it would have been futile. Actually, I would go far as to say, even with the wrong (small) snowshoes it would have been difficult. I used some pretty big traditional ones. It was untouched fresh snow the whole way around (from the warning sign counter clockwise to the LOTR portage). Even if it was packed, there is so much snow this year that unless the trail is very heavily packed, it would be hard to walk on without snowshoes. 

Plus, if you are camping, soon as you get to camp, stamping out a tent spot, gathering wood or water and going to bathroom will all require snowshoes. 

4/29/2019 12:59 pm  #7

It is super super hit and miss. I live near west gate and love to use the W.U trail for trail running, including winter. Some times the entire route can be hard packed in Feb, sometimes a lot of snow has fallen and the loop sections havent been completed for a while. The riskiest time is in spring when the snowpack from a winters worth of hikers is thawing and you posthole when you thought itd be dry.

4/30/2019 8:50 am  #8

You can daytrip anywhere in the park at any time of the year, but if the canoe routes or trails themselves are closed, you'd have to find an alternate route. If they declare the "backcountry" entirely closed though, you're screwed. If the conditions warrant that it's probably not worth even trying, as the risk may be too high

4/30/2019 9:34 pm  #9

Thanks everyone!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.