You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2019 4:09 pm  #1

Clothing for lower body- Kayak Trip Ice Out 2019

My eldest son has decided to join us for a 3 day ice out trip May 3rd if the stars align themselves. he's a kayaker though. has a spray skirt, but any recommendations for lower body clothing for warmth and water proofing other than standard rain pants, thermal long johns, neoprene socks, etc. what about neoprene chest waders stocking feet?

canoeing wise we're always fine at ice out and actually have used hip waders very successfully in cold water stuff, but that wouldn't be great for in/out of the kayak. 

4/24/2019 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Clothing for lower body- Kayak Trip Ice Out 2019

I hate to say it, but you're not likely going to be camping in Algonquin on May 3rd this year. But to answer the question, a wetsuit and water shoes. Yes, his feet might get cold stepping in and out at portages, but you're stepping out into shallow water at worst, and it's not going to be all that cold. Or a wetsuit and neoprene socks I suppose, but personally speaking I don't want to take the time to switch between those and my shoes on both sides of a portage. 

Chest/hip waders sounds super dangerous to me. What happens if you dump into the lake? You'd be too heavy to ever get back into your boat or even try to swim for shore. 

4/25/2019 12:40 pm  #3

Uppa as i read your response i realized how ridiculous my waders suggestion was....truly a darwinian moment. thanks for the wake up call!

4/25/2019 5:27 pm  #4

Hah, no worries. I hope May 3rd happens for you!

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.