You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2019 12:14 pm  #1

Small or Telescopic Rod

I see there is a post further down on this topic but I was wondering if anyone has tried these particular rods:  Let me preface with saying I'm a terrible fisherman but I do like to dip my rod into the water occasionally...so I don't need a fancy or expensive rod...just looking for something that folds up nice and small for canoe tripping...

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/47049/eagle-claw-packit-telescopic-fishing-combo

or this

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/zebco-adventurer-telescopic-spincast-kit-0785556p.html#Reviews

4/13/2019 2:49 pm  #2

Re: Small or Telescopic Rod

I expect either rod will be fine but I avoid the Zebco reels. The cheapest Shimano reel is about $30 and will last for years. I'd say go with the cheapest collapsible rod and add the Shimano reel. 

You could of course spend more, but if you're only fishing occasionally then the collapsible rod is worth the trade of for being more convenient rather than being better quality.

4/13/2019 3:14 pm  #3

Thanks Rob I appreciate your insight!

4/15/2019 6:38 pm  #4

RobW wrote:

I expect either rod will be fine but I avoid the Zebco reels. The cheapest Shimano reel is about $30 and will last for years. I'd say go with the cheapest collapsible rod and add the Shimano reel. 

You could of course spend more, but if you're only fishing occasionally then the collapsible rod is worth the trade of for being more convenient rather than being better quality.

Totally agree with Rob, those Zebcos are complete junk.  A Shimano reel/collapsible rod combo is the ticket for your specific needs.

4/16/2019 8:43 am  #5

I'm going to make a suggestion for an entirely different setup! as a former custom  and production rod builder, I'd suggest going with a pack rod and ultralight spinning reel. They're far more robust and of much higher quality than any telescoping rod! Telescoping rods rely on the guides to hold everything together, which means that the guide placement is all wrong, and if the glue fails, the rod'll just fall apart on you. Pack rods use regular epoxied in and glass or thread wrapped ferrules which are far stronger than a glued on metal ring, and that also allows the guides to be laid out much closer to a proper parabolic arc. This improves both the feel and handling of the rod.
I suggest spinning reels for the simple reason that 1) you can easily see the amount and strength of the line, 2) it's much easier to untangle a birds nest without disassembling the reel, and 3) the line pickup is far more positive than spincast because it relies on a bail with (usually) a built-in roller guide, where a spincast uses a small, spring- loaded pin in close proximity to the bell that will stop working properly if that spring stretches or breaks, also a very minor dent in the aluminium bell can stop the pin from moving as the spool turns, jamming the reel and making it unusable.
Diawa, Eagle Claw and Fenwick all make decent quality, economical kits that are ready to go!
http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/travel/executive_tp/index.html

4/16/2019 9:46 am  #6

I should have explicitly stated a Shimano spinning reel. We agree there ScouterGriz. 

I'll also agree that a pack rod would be better quality. However they aren't as convenient because they take more time to set up and break down than a collapsible rod. They also tend to be way more expensive which doesn't fit the criteria here. 

4/16/2019 10:02 am  #7

Thanks for all the input here guys, I really appreciate it!  I'll have to pop into Sail and check out what they have and see what works best and what it costs....I like the ideas though so thanks again

4/17/2019 3:31 am  #8

My buddies and I had an old saying when it came to purchasing fishing equipment - "Never by anything that starts with Z".

Personally, I'd go with regular two piece spinning rod and probably a Shimano reel - try to allocate a little more $ to the reel.  I fasten the rod's just below the gunnel with a couple of gear ties on the seat and thwart.  I always leave it that way for portages.  It can stay there for the whole trip and still be ready anytime I feel like taking a cast.  Without a hard case I'd be a little worried about packing something as oddly shaped and delicate as a fishing reel.  

I have a couple of expensive pack rods and a telescoping rod and I believe they're one of those items that are better on paper.   Even when I bring a pack rod - it gets put together at the beginning of the trip and taken apart at the end.   

4/18/2019 11:23 pm  #9

For my canoe trip down the Sutton to Hudsons Bay last summer I bought four of these for my son and I because
they packed down nice for flying and were cheap if they got broken it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spinning-Casting-Fishing-Rod-Carbon-Fiber-Travel-Lure-Rod-1-98M-2-1M-Saltwater/202352013980?hash=item2f1d1eb29c:m:mnCBWJGoC_zMGNHiuHjAM9Q

They managed to last the whole 10 day trip and caught hundreds of brook trout including some real beast like my sons personal best 24 incher

Last edited by Was Hardcore (4/18/2019 11:30 pm)

A mans gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

4/18/2019 11:47 pm  #10

Complete fight on said rod of nice speck

4/19/2019 7:32 am  #11

Was Hardcore wrote:

For my canoe trip down the Sutton to Hudsons Bay last summer I bought four of these for my son and I because
they packed down nice for flying and were cheap if they got broken it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spinning-Casting-Fishing-Rod-Carbon-Fiber-Travel-Lure-Rod-1-98M-2-1M-Saltwater/202352013980?hash=item2f1d1eb29c:m:mnCBWJGoC_zMGNHiuHjAM9Q

They managed to last the whole 10 day trip and caught hundreds of brook trout including some real beast like my sons personal best 24 incher...

Nice looking trout! 

May i ask which brand of hip waders your son chose?  And which outfitter you chose? Thanks!

4/19/2019 10:00 am  #12

i have a travel rod as well. i have never really used it , the rod gets stuck in the extended position some times. 
  the rod just feels kinda flimsy, not very sturdy.  i give it 3 outta 5 stars. 
   perhaps a ice fishing rod/ reel combo would work, pan fish units  are sturdy and compact without collapsing like a travel rod,,

4/19/2019 12:39 pm  #13

Swift Fifteen wrote:

Was Hardcore wrote:

They managed to last the whole 10 day trip and caught hundreds of brook trout including some real beast like my sons personal best 24 incher...

Nice looking trout! 

May i ask which brand of hip waders your son chose?  And which outfitter you chose? Thanks!

There is only one outfitter who services the Sutton river and that is Hearst Air. I can't remember the make of his waders sorry. I will do the trip again someday but not the whole river. Who knew catching trophy brook trout all day long could get boring.

4/20/2019 5:48 am  #14

swede; might that rod be an ultralight? A lot of the 5 and 5 1/2' rods are designed for a max of 6lb line

4/22/2019 8:22 am  #15

Was Hardcore wrote:

For my canoe trip down the Sutton to Hudsons Bay last summer ...

Now that is a bucket list trip!

4/22/2019 4:21 pm  #16

RobW wrote:

Was Hardcore wrote:

If you are a Brook Trout fisherman for sure it should be on your bucket but beware it will spoil brook trout fishing everywhere else.

4/22/2019 8:52 pm  #17

RobW wrote:

Was Hardcore wrote:

Rob, lets do it!  I'm planning to hit it next year and my paddle partner bailed. Easy peasy.

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.