You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2019 4:51 pm  #1

Jeff's Maps - Can they be loaded on Garmin GPS or Samsung S7 (Android)

Hi Friends,

From my question you've probably already determined (correctly) that I'm a technophobe! Thanks in advance...Jon
(N.B. Anyone know if Jeff's new AP maps are almost ready and can they also be loaded on GPS +/- my phone?)

4/19/2019 7:56 pm  #2

Re: Jeff's Maps - Can they be loaded on Garmin GPS or Samsung S7 (Android)

The original Jeff’s Maps can be loaded onto the app Avenza. I don’t think his new Unlostify maps are available on there yet though.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/19/2019 9:47 pm  #3

The plan is to have GPS and iOS/Android versions of all of them,​ just haven't gotten around to it quite yet.

There's always more to do than there is time, and the priority has been the new Algonquin map

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

4/21/2019 3:56 pm  #4

Can't seem to locate the original Jeff's maps through the Avenza app?? Can anyone help? TY

4/22/2019 7:15 am  #5

The website for the original Jeffs Map seems to be down. I guess Not-Jeff wasn't paying his bills.

4/22/2019 9:54 am  #6

This "not-Jeff" is quite the hot mess, lol. Looking forward to Jeff's UNLOSTIFY AP maps!

4/22/2019 11:36 am  #7

Boo. I stop by that site almost every day to daydream about routes. RIP Jeff's Maps (but long live Unlostify!)

4/22/2019 3:38 pm  #8

Too bad about the site, wonder if he stopped paying bills or got shut down from multiple people reporting him for taking their money and not sending the product, aka robbing them. About all that fraudulent hack "Eric" (not his real name) has done since he took the company over was post a dance video on the facebook page. 

4/22/2019 8:26 pm  #9

AlgonquinLakes wrote:

RIP Jeff's Maps (but long live Unlostify!)

The Jeff’s Maps site may be down but you’ll have to pry Jeff’s Avenza map out of my cold dead hands!

I seem to recall downloading a giant jpg file of the map. Maybe when I get a chance I’ll see if I can somehow post the Avenza map. I believe it has a free (as in freedom) license.

4/23/2019 11:49 am  #10

If anyone wants the PDF of the Algonquin Jeff's Map let me know and I can send it via dropbox, it's almost 100mb and too large to e-mail. *

4/23/2019 12:01 pm  #11

I believe that you need to first need to get the file, then load it to Avenza. It doesn't appear to be on Avenza, don't remember if it was before either.

You can find them here
http://www.markinthepark.com/downloads.html

4/24/2019 10:54 am  #12

Many thanks APPaul! After a verrrry lengthy period while Avenza "processed" the map I received an "error message"...saying the map is "not referenced", meaning that I won't be able to see my location on the map (which was my main reason for loading it). APPaul or Jeff (jeffreyM) would you mind helping me sort this? Thank you! Jon
(Looking f/w to new maps Jeff!)

4/24/2019 11:57 am  #13

Hey. Sorry I just realized that the versions in the link look like the wall maps, which are not geo referenced files. 

I just checked my Avenza, to see if I could export the map from there, but you can't. Turns out it was available through their store as product # 94357, which is no longer available. 

So...unless somebody has some way to get it out of Avenza for you, you could also download kmz files from an archived version of Jeff's old site at:
http://www.algonquinmap.com/">https://web.archive.org/web/20180817171423/http://www.algonquinmap.com/

Go to the downloads section check out the Google Earth, or Garmin downloads. (navigation of the site and downloads will be slow.) You can find kmz files there. Not sure if they will work in Avenza, but there are many apps that can read kmz files, so hopefully, you should be able to find one that works and provide you with a version of the map that you can use to navigate on your phone. 

I tried the Avenza map option, but it was a link to the Avenza store, so it won't work.

Jeff: I hope you don't mind me pointing all this out?!

4/25/2019 2:35 am  #14

@goneagainjon - Unfortunately the Avenza Map Store license is not compatible with the license I released the map under.

Essentially the simplified version of how things were set up is: the map is copyrighted, meaning that it (basically) cannot be distributed without explicit permission. However, I added an exception such that you may re-distribute it if you agree to a specific set of terms about how and when that is permitted.

If you're interested in the specifics you'll want to read the Creative Commons license I used for details, but the jist of it is you can distribute it to others only if it's done so non-commercially, credit is given, and it's not a derivative work.

The problem is that in signing the license with Avenza you need to agree to a number of things that contravene those terms (among other things, you need to certify that ownership the maps at all times remain with you, authorize them to reformat the map and add security features to it, etc).

While I wanted to distribute the map quite openly, the restrictions I added on how it may be shared were very important in my feeling comfortable doing that. In particular, I was okay with one member of the canoeing community sharing it with another member of the community (as my way of giving back), but the moment any money or business was involved I wanted to have control on how or if that happened. I hope that makes sense

APPaul's solution is a great one though! The KMZ is compatible with a wide range of software and has coordinates embedded. I don't think Avenza maps accepts that format, but someone similar should (Google Earth for example).

FYI the new map will be available as a free jpg, on iOS/Android (in a different app), Garmin GPS's and Google Earth when the time comes =)

I make paddling maps! – MapsByJeff.com

4/25/2019 6:11 am  #15

Makes complete sense to me.  What you've done is leaps and bounds above prior options.

Side-note:  just noticed today that the algonquinmap.com is no longer active...bummer as I used the online version more often than my print versions!

4/25/2019 10:01 am  #16

I completely understand Jeff. You are more than generous with your proprietary intellectual property!

4/26/2019 12:30 pm  #17

Tried the KMZ route and indeed it works well with Google Earth on my laptop. Alas, I can't get that same file into Google Earth on my Samsung S7...Google Earth tries to import but keeps shutting down  . Anyone have any idea why? My main interest is being able to see where I am in the park at any given time on Jeff's Map using my (offline) S7. TY Jon

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.