You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2019 8:39 pm  #1

Lower Nip: Cedar to High Falls and Q re: Jeff's Maps

Hi Friends,
Planning another trip...hopefully this fall or next spring. Looking to start at Cedar Lake and travel up the Nip as far as High Falls...would welcome any feedback on this area...for example, what are the "Long Marsh" and "Plumb Cr Junction" campsites like? Strangely, Jeff's Map does NOT show the travel time between Marshy Bay on Cedar and the start of the portage to Luckless Lake. Anyone know how long this takes (will likely be double carrying the 945 and 230)?
Would you recommend daytripping from High Falls campsite upstream on the Nip or daytripping to Remona, Whiskey Jack etc? Mostly after beautiful scenery but might try a l'il C&R fishing.
Many thanks!

Last edited by goneagainjon (4/16/2019 9:38 pm)

4/17/2019 3:12 am  #2

Re: Lower Nip: Cedar to High Falls and Q re: Jeff's Maps

I haven’t paddled this yet, but the version of Jeff’s Map I looked at has the distance between Marshy  Bay and the Luckless portage as 9.3 km and 2 hours 35 minutes of travel.

4/17/2019 4:50 pm  #3

If it was my choice I'd have had enough of the Nip by the time I got to High Falls and a long day trip to Burntroot and back will be a nice distraction from the river.

4/17/2019 5:42 pm  #4

Have never done the trip upstream but downstream I'd say the 2 1/2 hours is about right from the Luckless portage out. To be safe I'd add maybe another 25-30% or more to that time depending on time of year. On my ice out trip last year I travelled from Gauthier's Dam to Marshy Bay in under 8 hours including several fishing stops along the way, but the current was pretty strong. 

Re. campsites, I have stayed at the lower site at the Perly Dam portage and the site below High Falls. Both were decent enough portage-side sites for a river that doesn't see hoards of paddlers coming through every hour. I notice there are several descriptions on the PCI Project for other sites on the Nip, especially those around Plumb Creek Junction, so you should check those out for sure.

I'd definitely recommend a daytrip off the river rather than on. Unless you specifically want to check out the remains of the POW camp upstream there's not a ton more variety to the river in that area. Whiskeyjack and Remona both have beautiful aquamarine water, like in a glacial lake, and might make a nice diversion. However, you definitely need to be in work mode for that 1930m. It's very uphill on the way off the river, so it won't exactly be a nice relaxing daytrip. I can't much speak to the fishing opportunities in those lakes versus the river.

4/17/2019 7:13 pm  #5

Many thanks AlgonquinLakes, EddyTurn and Paddlerunner! Jon

4/18/2019 3:43 am  #6

@John Connelly: Amazing pics!! You must be travelling with a pretty serious zoom to get such a great headshot! I've eyed that site after the 900m many times but always opted for the main lake instead. Now I see what I've been missing! Next time for sure. 

4/19/2019 2:22 pm  #7

Many thanks John...and great pics!

4/19/2019 2:22 pm  #8

Many thanks John...and great pics!

4/20/2019 5:32 am  #9

John Connelly wrote:

@ Paddlerunner ... Not much of a zoom required fer that shot , as I had ta lay the brakes on hard , coming around a narrow part . The bow of the canoe was pretty much up his arse end . I was in complete awe , and fear at the time never having been so close to such a majestic animal .

Incredible!! I thought I'd had some close moose encounters over the years but nothing like that. Just amazing pics too. Well done!

5/03/2019 1:24 pm  #10

I like John's humor when he says that the stretch of switch backs to the Nadine portage will "test your patience"....  Let's all be honest and call it the "I'm going to shoot myself" section, nothing like seeing the spot you were at 10 mins ago, 20 ft away from you..... I will agree though that if you're only going to see one moose on the trip, it'll be there. 
Also the portage from the Nip into Remona is not something I'd do just for kicks, it's straight up for most of it.  Instead, you could easily loose a day exploring along the High Falls portage and the pools above the actual falls (if you can get down there).  The Gauthier dam portage has an impressive timber slide/river diversion remnants to check out and all of these portages have springs along them for refreshments.... 

5/18/2019 8:00 pm  #11

John Connelly wrote:

@ Paddlerunner ... Not much of a zoom required fer that shot , as I had ta lay the brakes on hard , coming around a narrow part .

My favourite part of the nip.  None of the 8 moose were anywhere as concerned as I was when I peeled around the bend.  Most gave me plenty of time to sightsee before they decided to leave the river.

Grassy Meadow is a long haul with almost nowhere to get out and stretch you legs.  Other than that the downhill run is an easy paddle.  

The portage to Ramona is 2K going up 80 m.  Not deadly if you're just carrying a canoe and daypack but you might consider Nadine/Osler as an alternate.

Last edited by keg (5/18/2019 8:02 pm)

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.