You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2019 3:39 pm  #1

Best Sites on Pen?

Hi Friends,

Looking for recommendations re: the best campsites on Pen...many thanks!

4/10/2019 4:17 pm  #2

Re: Best Sites on Pen?

i.m.h.o. campsite site # 8,, (not listed in the inventory) ) is the best site on pen.  the site is the hill top pinery/beach site 2/3 `s of the way down pen,,   you can see the pines/beach from just beyond the first 2 islands,,the actual campsite and proper landing is kinda behind the pine ridge,  great spot, lots of room for tents, yet sheltered with da ridge,, connecting trail to the near by point campsite.. i hope this helps,, pen is one of my favs. i like to hang my hammock at the top of the ridge and veiw the marsh accross the lake,, looking for swamp donkeys. the last few times i stayed at this site there was a barred owl nest close by,, the night time sounds that these owls make would curdle your blood,,,,

Last edited by swedish pimple (4/10/2019 8:51 pm)

4/10/2019 4:48 pm  #3

I agree with swede. Great tent area that's fairly sheltered from wind , but not the best for when the blackflies are feeding I suspect ( depending on wind direction of course) . View of the lake is fantastic on the ridge.

4/10/2019 6:25 pm  #4

What do you look for in a good campsite?

I've got detailed pictures/descriptions for a handful of sites at the bottom of my trip report here: https://algonquinbeyond.com/trip-reports/clydegale-round-2-except-with-more-moose/

I've also seen most of the other sites on the lake:

- The sites on the west shore are enclosed and inland. From the water, they look very uninviting. Maybe they open up once you get on land, but they won't have swimming or sunbathing opportunities, and since they're on the west shore, it won't get sunset views.

- There's a big beach site on the point on the east shore midway down the lake (#8 on PCI). The actual campsite is tucked away and protected, then there's a big hill at the 'tip' by the water, and on the other side is the big beach which will get sun all day and is a great place to watch the sunset.

- The island sites in the north look very nice, but with the cost of limited sunset views and lots of through traffic.

- Most sites are perched high up so aren't the most accessible, but you're rewarded with good views and a nice interior site (see sites from my trip report for example).

It's a hard question to answer without knowing what you're looking for, but between my trip report and the sites on the PCI you should be able to find something that you like. Just keep in mind Pen is a very busy (and often full) lake and if you go there with hopes of any specific site, you'll likely be let down when you find out it's taken. Your best bet is to find the sites you'd be ok with staying at, and taking the first one of those that you see available. Last thing you want to do is pass up the island site, paddle to #8, find out it's taken, paddle back up to the island to find out now that one is taken as well, etc.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/11/2019 6:53 am  #5

1,5, and 8 are nice but I prefer 15 and 16.  17 and 18 are pretty dark.  If your going during bug season, consider the wind direction when choosing a site.  It can be the difference between a miserable or bug free weekend.   

4/11/2019 2:04 pm  #6

Many thanks Swede, wetfoot, trippy and Chuck! I briefly visited 14 (near portage to Clydegale) a few years back...I recall that it was quite large and very private although view to lake blocked by a large fallen tree. Anyone stay at this site?

4/11/2019 2:18 pm  #7

goneagainjon wrote:

Many thanks Swede, wetfoot, trippy and Chuck! I briefly visited 14 (near portage to Clydegale) a few years back...I recall that it was quite large and very private although view to lake blocked by a large fallen tree. Anyone stay at this site?

It's one of the campsites in my link I posted above... pictures as of Sept 2018.

Trip Reports & Campsite Pictures
algonquinbeyond.com

4/11/2019 3:29 pm  #8

goneagainjon wrote:

Yep. In fact we stayed there the day after that tree came down. Met the guys who had been camped on it the night before when the tree came down just missing one of their tents.

We've stayed on a bunch of other sites too. The only ones I would prefer to avoid are on the island at the north end just for privacy. 

Board footera

LNT Canada is a national non-profit organization dedicated to promoting responsible outdoor recreation through education, research and partnerships.